Chapter 13

“I want to make this very clear,” Adrian said slowly and watched him blankly, “You do not say ‘you Americans’ while surrounded by Americans,” he emphasized, “Unless you want to get jumped.”

  I pressed myself back into the locker, feeling the dent in the mental, “I'm not scared of any of you.”

  “I know. You're not scared of anything,” he said, “But you don't want people to hate you.”

  I tilted my head at him and he sighed, nodding, “Yeah, I know. Forget I said that.”

  “Can we go to lunch now,” I said, leaning away from the lockers and stepping closer to him, “I have something very important to tell Cindy.”

  He sighed again, shaking his head, “Sure. Yeah, let's go.”

  I held back a smile, placing my hands on his sides, “Do I frustrate you?”

  He shook his head, “Nah, just… having a really long day.”

  My eyes narrowed fractionally, “Did she approach you?”

  “Yeah,” he said, running his hand through his curls and messing them up even more.

  “Would you like me to talk to her?” My hands went to his back.

  He laughed and his eyes met mine, dancing in amusement, “Knowing what your version of ‘talking’ means, I think I'll be good. Pretty sure you’re on the verge of getting expelled. Let's just try to stay in school, okay?” He teased.

  “You think I'd get expelled?”

  He shook his head, seeing something in my eyes, “Don't even think about it,” he stepped away, taking my hand and pulling me after him.

  “Do you really think so?” I asked eagerly.

  As usual, the cafeteria was packed and rumbling with life. This was the worse time of the day for me and that's if I chose to stay here for lunch. Adrian has been trying to keep me civilized in this environment, which means I haven't had many trips off school grounds for lunch since the first time.

  Like all the other times when we enter a room, eyes turned in our direction. It's nothing either of us aren't used to, so it didn't make much of a difference.

  And according to Cindy, we're the ‘power couple’ of the school, whatever that even means.

  Adrian and I got our lunch before making our way to the usual table. The familiar faces were already there, chatting away.

  “What is it now?” Adrian retorted as we sat.

  “He wants to break into Candace's-”

  “Ssssshhhh!” The redhead quieted his brown-haired friend aggressively, spit flying out of his mouth.

  His friend jerked, moving back, “Eugh! Are you fucking serious!” He quickly got a napkin from the pile in the middle of the table and wiped his face aggressively.

  “They're friends now stupid, don't say it out loud,” he gritted in a very loud whisper.

  “There's a change of venue actually,” I voiced, pouring ranch over my salad, “She's having it at my house,” I told them and it got quiet. I couldn't help but crack a small grin when I looked up at them, “And I would advise you stay as far away from my house as you can.” I kept my eyes on the redhead and felt satisfied when he swallowed hardly.

  I doubt any of them even knew where I lived, but knowing him, he could find it easily. He's one of those people.

  “When did you two get so close anyway?” The blond said.