Chapter 5~ New Job and The Truth.

Hey guys, the picture above is Shay who gets introduced in this chapter! Also beside that is a song that I can not get out of my head.

Fox stepped closer to me, "What's behind your back?" He questioned me as I backed into the file cabinet. I rolled my eyes, crumbling up the paper so it could fit in my pocket. "Nothing is behind my back if you really want to know" I said, pulling my hands out of my back pocket and waving them in front of his face. Fox stepped back and turned around, heading for the door. I scurried behind him and left the file room.

Outside the door more than a dozen people where waiting. Fox walked through the crowd while I followed closely behind. "Who are these people" I asked Fox in a hushed tone. He didn't stop walking till we got to the end of the group of people, he then turned to me, "These are the people who will help us escort you upstairs". The elevator doors opened and Derek stepped out, "Let's go, they are waiting".

Millions of questions ran through my head as we all gathered into the elevator, Who is they? Why do they want to talk to me? And why do all these people have escort me upstairs?

Fox pressed the button with the number 20 written on it. I was squished in at the back, pressed up against the railing. Derek was to my left while Fox was to my right, and all the others where blocking the way out.

When we finally got to the 20th floor all the other people flooded out while I was last to escape the sweaty moving box. I stepped out to see almost all the people who where in the elevator scattered throughout the floor, going to their desks or to the kitchen.

Fox and Derek lead me to a office. They knocked on the oak door before opening it up and letting me go in. I walked in and stood there for a second, taking in my surroundings. The air smelled like cherries, the place was oddly colourful, then the desk placed in the center was bright pink. "OMG it's you!" a voice screamed with excitement. I whipped my head left to right to see where the voice came from. The chair spun around from behind the bright pink desk. A women (around mid 40s) was in the chair, blonde hair, turquoise dress, seemed normal.

The women nodded at Fox and Derek who left in a hurry. "Please sit!" the women squealed. I slowly sat in the plastic chair placed in front of her desk. "My name is Shay Lena Demoniac, you can just call me Shay". I shifted uncomfortably in the stiff chair, Shay was too perky, too nice to me? Something had to be up. "I'm Lena" I smiled. Shay smile grew as I said my name. "It really is you, I aspire to be like you but I can't" she said in one big slur.

I laughed nervously as Shay went on ranting about me, about how much she knows, about how much she loves me already, and about how she has been watching me. "Um, what is this all about?" I asked, stopping Shay from going on about me.

"Oh, well you are special as you know, and someone as unique as you can't be left in the normal world. So I brought you in so you can be safe and develop your 'powers', also so you can work here on some different cases, the cases Fox and Derek work on". Her pupils expanded 3 times bigger when she finished. Honestly I have never been so scared in my life, one wrong word to Shay and she could burst out. "Sounds fun" I lied, it sounded like hell, another version of school. Shay nodded then stood up, pushing her chair back. She walked around to my side and gave me a hug.

Shay escorted me out the door, the perfume stinting my nose every time she took a step or expressed how happy she was I would now be here. She opened up the door for me. i walked out fast as she waved goodbye to me.

I meet Fox and Derek by the elevator, "How was is?" Fox asked. "How was what? The talk? It was fine, by the way I'm working with you guys now" I smiled, acting happy. Derek looked down at me, "Are you alright? Did Shay say something?". I shook my head, stepping into the elevator without another word.

When we got to the basement again I walked out and turned right, towards the washroom. I picked up my pace as I walked down the narrow hall with flickering lights, this could have totally been a scene from a horror movie. When I got to the door I twisted the knob and pushed the door open. The bathroom was completely white, if I was locked in here I would for sure go crazy. I turned around and locked the door, praying it would open again once I wanted to leave.

I put the toilet cover down with my foot. I took the crumpled up piece of paper out of my back pocket and carefully smoothed it out and read it over again. Tears stung my eyes, I was here before, I am here now and probably won't leave to see Matt again. A singular tear left my eye and fell down my cheek. I would never leave to see Matt again, and I never said goodbye. A lump formed in my throat as I held back my tears. I just left, if he died I would never be able to live with myself.

A knock came to the door, I crumbled up the paper again and wiped my tears away. I unlocked the door to see Derek standing there. "Are you sure you are okay" he asked again. "I'm fine what do you want" I snapped back. He stepped back, clearing his throat, "Um we have an assignment, are you ready?"

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I also want to say thanks for sticking around even though I haven't updated in sooooo long. Anyway stay tuned for the next chapter and don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me for updates on this book!

~ItsTheDarkestAtDawn