Chapter Eight: I Still Believe

“But you don’t look Asian.”

I sighed and then rolled my eyes. “One does not need to look Asian to have Kim’s role.”

“Just saying,” Charlotte said and took a sip of her drink. “I read in Wikipedia that the original Kim in Broadway and in London was Lea Salonga – a Filipina. And in the original symphonic recording, Kim was Joanna Ampil who is also a Filipina. See what I mean?”

“Oh come on, Charlotte. You should support Erin,” Jennifer said, patting my shoulder. “She’s going to be great, I just know it!”

“If Wendy doesn’t get it first,” Howard muttered. “She always tries to get the main role. Mrs. Parker gives it to her because she’s a good one.”

“But I have a good feeling Erin would score,” Jennifer said firmly.

“Are you going to audition?” I asked Howard.

“Yep. As Chris.”

“That’s awesome! We’re going to sing together,” I said, grinning.

We were inside the auditorium, waiting for the auditions to begin. I practiced my song since last night. I really want to be part of the musical so badly. There were lots of people waiting too. That’s why I was beginning to get nervous. A lot of people would watch me sing. Did I mention I have stage frights?

“Where’s Hugh? I told him to be present in my audition,” I said, craning my neck to check the entrance.

“I haven’t seen him yet,” Jennifer said. Something in her voice changed though I can’t name it.

“Speaking of Hugh,” Charlotte said, suddenly interested, “are you two dating?”

I blushed deeply and shook my head. “N-no!”

“He told me he’s going to the dance with you,” Howard said and hung his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulders. “You could go to double dates with Charlotte and I.”

“We’re not dating,” I insisted. “We’re just friends. Plus, don’t you think it’s too soon for dating?”

Before Charlotte could reply, somebody barked in our direction. “No drinks!”

We looked up as Charlotte turned deep red and placed her juice inside her bag. Mrs. Parker walked in with Wendy behind her. Everybody went silent. Mrs. Parker walked up the stage while Wendy sat down on the front seat.

“So,” Mrs. Parker started, “we are gathered here today for the auditions of Miss Saigon. I had your names with me and I’d pick randomly who would start.”

With that, Mrs. Parker went down the stage and began to scribble something in her pad. Then she announced with her large voice, “Howard Pattinson, you’re up.”

Howard drew a big breath and then stood up. Charlotte clapped her hands and howled for him. “That’s my boyfriend!” she screamed.

Howard gave her a smile. “Thanks, Lottie,” he said and kissed her in the cheek.

“Let’s not waste any time here,” Wendy said loud enough for the whole auditorium to hear.

Howard immediately went over to the stage and raised the microphone to his lips. “Hi. I’m Howard Pattinson.”

“So I’ve heard,” Mrs. Parker said, her voice bored. “Who would you like to be in Miss Saigon?”

“Chris.”

“Why do you want to be Chris?”

He blinked. Of course, he doesn’t know that there would be a question-and-answer portion. “Um, because he’s the leading man and I think I could be him,” he answered.