Chapter Nineteen: I Should Tell You

“Okay, enough with this! I am so tired with this!” Jennifer announced angrily and turned to look at me. “What the hell is your problem? For two days, you’ve been quiet, passive and you don’t listen to whatever I say! What’s wrong?”

I just looked at her and slowly frowned. “What are you talking about? Nothing’s bothering me.”

“Oh really? For the past days, Erin, you always drift off to silence and you’ll have that faraway look in your eyes where I’m sure you’re thinking of other things. Tell me, what’s more important than spending time with me?”

I gave her a look. “You’re seriously asking me that question?”

She sighed. “Okay,” she said and sighed again. “Let me ask once again. What’s the matter, Erin? And don’t say there’s nothing wrong. It is very clear that something is wrong.”

Jennifer and I were hanging out inside her room, making our History project. But when she asked me to hand her the glue and I gave her my shoe, which caused to burst her bubble and demand what’s wrong.

Truthfully, nothing was really wrong. I was just thinking about Winston and what we would do when I get back home. Last night, we went up the rooftop again, even though there were no more shooting stars. We just went up to talk and talk and look at the stars. He wore his mask, because he felt uncomfortable taking them off. But I didn’t care because whether he does or does not wear the mask, as long as he’s there, I know I’ll be contented.

“There you again, tuning me out,” Jennifer scolded me.

I blushed. “Sorry. What we were you saying?”

“I was just asking what the hell is your problem. If there’s something wrong back at your home, then you can tell me everything! Maybe I could help or something,” she offered.

I smiled. “You’re a good friend, Jennifer, but I don’t think I need your help. There’s nothing wrong.”

“Then what are you thinking about? A guy?”

“As a matter of fact… yes.”

Jennifer’s mouth opened in shock and I just sat there, smiling shyly. She immediately went to my side and shook me like a doll. “What. Did. You. Say,” she said, emphasizing each word.

“I was thinking about a guy, Jennifer,” I told her and chuckled. “Why are you so shock? You think I’m a lesbian who think about girls?”

“No, but this is the first time you confirmed that you are truly seeing a guy!” she said excitedly. “Now tell me, who is he? It’s not Hugh, because I would know if it’s him! Charlotte and Howard and I kept talking about you dating a guy but we were never sure!”

I grinned. “Well, tell them I am seeing a guy. But dating… not quite sure about that yet.”

“So, who is he?”

“You’ve met him before. Winston? Remember the guy I brought along with me during the dance? It’s him.”

“But I thought he’d gone back to New York because of his job?”

“Yeah, but we’ve been contacting each other in our own ways,” I replied. “Anyway, he told me he might have feelings for me.”

Jennifer gave out a girly squeal. I just laughed out loud with her childish acts. This was the first time I told someone (not including Josephine and Gina, since they’re adults) about this. It felt so good. Finally, I’m living a normal teenage life – talking about a boy with my friend while giggling. It felt silly, but I think it’s supposed to feel this way.