Part 2 - Chapter 3

A cough sounded behind me. I spun around, startled by the sudden noise. “Your Majesty,” said a voice from the shadows. “How honoured we are to be blessed with your precious company. NOT!” The voice was like a knife on cement. 

“Hello Skull.” I replied as my brother stepped out of the shadows, that he had been occupying moments before.  “Long time, no see.” Skull said.  “Come, Father is waiting.”

As I walked into the sinister throne room, my father slapped me across my cheek. 

“That,” my father bellowed, “Was for running away.”  Then he slapped me across my other cheek.  “And that,” he snarled, “Was for coming back.”  And then he hugged me.  You need to know something about my father before we proceed.  My father has very weird emotional changes.  That is why he slapped me and then hugged me.  This is because he is the devil.  (It comes with the job.)

Anyway, back to the present.  “Father,” I began, as he regained his place at the throne.  

“You came here to warn me that Sabriel has rebelled, and that she is going to launch a war against us.  So, we need to ready ourselves for a gruesome battle against the living and the dead.”  My father recited the speech I had prepared word for word in my head!  “How did you?” I questioned.  

“Mind powers,” he said.  “Works wonders with phobias.”

“What?” I trailed off “Oh, never mind.”

“So,” I questioned, “What do you plan on doing?” 

“Well,” my father said, “We will have to gather and ready every dead soul out there for the battle.  Then we will train them to become mighty warriors, so that we will win the war!” my father ended with a flourish.

“And how do you propose that we do that in three days? Because even I think that it is pretty impossible.” 

“WHAT?” my father exclaimed, “In HOW many days?” 

“Well, that’s how long we have.” I replied. 

“We must get going, we have so much to prepare and so little time.  I must go and gather.  I will see you in twelve hours,” and without a final word he was gone. 

* * * * * 

Twelve hours later… 

It is dark and as I lie down on my pale bedspread I can still hear the clatter of servants ringing in my ears as they rush in and out to prepare for battle.  My father has collected over five thousand souls; however we need more.  So tomorrow twenty of my father’s best guards will go out and look for more.  But that is tomorrow so I shall get some rest so that finally tomorrow I will be ready for whatever meets me…