Part 3 - Chapter 1

War. So sweet, and yet so painful. Both sides have lost men. But I can’t think about it now. I have yet to discover were they are hiding Angel, but it is only a matter of time. Too bad I don’t have much of that left. 

I have seen Ivy and Angel’s magic books: each Angel has one; it follows them around and writes down their thoughts, however most of the time they are invisible to other Angels. But I know people. 

So I am writing this for my sake. But unlike them I will not be making it so long that you would get board after the first few pages, I will be making it short, snappy, and interesting to read. So, here goes. 

I glance around me.  The chilling scene of lost souls bodies cascaded over an open hearth.  I glance up at the palace; I’ve already looked there for Angel but there was no sight of her.  I have no other clues to bring me to where she is hidden.  My sources are good but this time they have failed me.  Maybe she’s hidden in a secret passage under the castle?  Or maybe she has fled to the undead world.  I have no clue where to look next.

Suddenly out of the corner of my eye, I catch a tiny glimpse of movement.  My head snaps round as I catch a millisecond of the tip of a black angel’s wing feather.  I launch myself around the corner and within another millisecond I am upon her, descending like the wrath of all the storm gods amplified by a thousand.  Total chaos breaks loose.

Everything fragments into snapshots as she launches at me and I parry her blow.  The smell of blood. The burn of fire. The taste of rage. A thousand years fly past or it could be only moments. Slowly, inexorably I am winning. 

At the moment of Angel’s death, at the corner of my success, my great triumph I stare into her eyes to savour my victory but I’m only met by a scared, anxious gaze.  I watch the life glaze over them and a shock runs through my whole body as I realise that all I can think of is how beautiful those eyes are, what a magnificent creature this is that I have destroyed, oh what have I done, this was my closest friend but I betrayed through greed anger and fury oh gods oh gods what do I do with this unbearable pain.

I pull my dagger from her chest and plunge it into its owner.

Sweet weakness covers my despair. Our blood mingles. We are no longer parted. For through sorrow and death that will, live within us always, we are one. This is how it was always meant to be, so it shall remain forever this way. 

The pain is sugared out by the sweet reminder of home. 

My love for Angel. 

My death so sweet. 

My pain so bland. 

Forever torn through the emotional rollercoaster of life.