Chapter 3 - Meeting the Sergeant

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for taking so long, in terms of updating. But I hope this chapter makes up for it ^_^

It's 7:30am. Thirty feminine faces (including mine), expressionless and silent. All wearing pale blue uniforms, hair tied into a pony tail and lined up in the corridor, waiting for instructions. Our surnames are called one by one for registration. We stand in alphabetical order so I'm probably somewhere at the front.

"Amberley,"

"Present."

"Barnett,"

"Present."

"Dawson," That's me I guess.

"Present." I say, with in a monotone expression. After all, none of us wished for this new way of life forced upon us.

"...Present." The list continues.

You might think that this all seems like some sort of military base and we are being trained as soldiers. Well, if you that's what you were thinking, you're pretty much correct.

For the people of Remiah, this is quite ordinary. You leave your parents at 12 years old and attend your closest academy. It's kinda like a boarding school. But, without freedom. Once you pass the colossal black gate, you're confined and imprisoned within the academy walls. You'd never experience daylight again, until you get to your Concension.

Before Raven seized the control over Remiah, the definition of schools and academies was not one we knew of. They say it used to be a joyful place to go – a place plentiful in knowledge, education and wisdom. Now, it's a misery and desolate place one could call prison.

A door opens and a middle-aged looking woman steps out. Her sandy hair tied into a bun and a contemptuous expression smothers the faint lines on her face. Her pale yellowy-brown eyes scolding every blank expression. She stops.

Hurriedly walking down the corridor, one of the girls from my dorm joins the line and walks to her position – it's Lydia. Oh no. She overslept. My eyes peak to where the woman stands. Being late is something you don't want to be – especially on a day like this. I slightly bite my lip, not knowing what will happen. After what seemed forever, the woman spoke.

"You." She said, pointing her thin, bony fingers in my direction. My heart stops. As though her finger shot a bullet into my chest. ME? What did I do!? Anxiety and worry befriend me.

Her eyes narrow and her lips curl. "What's your name?" My body stiffens. I force myself to open my mouth. But just as I am about to, another voice from behind beats me to it.

"Ellwood." She pauses. What!? I mentally exclaim. Relief washes over me but I still don't know what to anticipate.

"L-Lydia Ellwood." I hold in my breath and mentally pray for her.

"Hmm, Ellwood you say." The woman says in disgust. "Do you know who I am?"

"I – I can't say I do." I can tell she's trembling.

"Well," Addressing all the girls. "I am Sergeant Carroll. And I am the person who will oversee the progress you make within Concension. Know that I do not tolerate any blunders or mistakes. And, should you test my patience, I have the authority and power to deduct points you earn for your test." She glares at Lydia. "Normally, Miss Ellwood, I would befall you with a punishment for your lateness on such a vital occasion. However, as this is the first time, I will call your case as an exception. Right," The Sergeant pauses. "Is all of that clear girls?"

Thirty voices reply loud and clear in unison, "Yes, Sergeant."

* * * * *

Author's Note:

Not much happened in this chapter so i'll try to make the next one more interesting. Once again, really sorry for the late update. Hope you liked it. :D