Chapter 5

~Dani's POV~

"Dani Marie!" my dad's voice penetrated my ears. "Get up it's time for your run!"

"I'm up," I answered. The covers were yanked from over my head and the light hit my face

"Now, Dani, "He hissed. Damn. I forgot to lock my door, didn't I?

"Okay, I'm up!" I flung my legs over the side of my bed and sprung up into a full stand I could barely feel my legs, but somehow I was up. "Now go, I have to change."

"You better be dressed the next time I see you," He said.

"OKAY!!" I yelled. "Leave, now, you're invading my privacy!"

After a while, he did as I said and shuffled down the stairs, closing my door behind him. Every Saturday at 6 am, I woke up and had a run around the neighborhood. My dad had been waking me up since the eighth grade to train for track and after he stopped training me, I just continued to run. I loved running it was just fun I guess. No matter what game I was playing, I was always the fastest...and that paid off.

I rushed to my dresser and pulled out a pair of gym shorts and a tank-top. Instead of doing something special to my hair, I wrapped the loose nest into a quick bun and slipped a sweat band over it. My clothes were slipped on and I ran to the bathroom, doing my business before I went to exercise.

"Danielle, come on!" Dad yelled.

"Can I use the bathroom," I was clearly irritated. I couldn't really comprehend why I was yelling at him, but in a way I felt it was only necessary.

As soon as I was done, I ran from my floor on top of the house to the kitchen where my father was to show him that I was dressed. He nodded in approval and kept on with his day, sipping his coffee as if he hadn't been badgering me to awaken. I pushed his casualty from my head and skidded from the house to start my daily rounds. I covered the normal length in just over a half hour, but wanted something more. My stomach grumbled loudly and I realized that I hadn't eaten in over three days!

I looked up, as if for help as I found I was surrounded by unknown homes. I was practically lost, except for one sign. KwickieGo. I could go there for an ice cream, if they had any. I'd never actually been inside, Bryan was always the one to get Ashlee and I's food when we came here for lunch. All I knew about this place was that it had a killer flatbread sub and that Kenzie and the DOPE's hang here after school. The only thing bad that could happen is if Kaylee showed up her... but it was only 6:48, nobody's awake!

I could see the burgundy fence that surrounded the brick shop. It wasn't that far up the road, just about another block. There was only one car parked in the lot behind it, obviously an employee. The car was a midnight blue, almost purple with a silver grill and a plush penguin toy in the front window. With my PINGU obsession, I was only tempted to keep walking towards the car, thinking maybe I'd see the owner.

As I made my way to the lot, I had the strange urge to turn back. But my first mind was usually wrong so I kept a leisurely pace toward the front doors.

"Welcome to KwickieGo, may I help you?" A conversant, but not yet noteworthy, voice greeted me.

Dammit, should've listened to my first mind! I didn't want anyone to see me all sweaty and half-dressed, especially not someone I knew. And this, this was a male's voice. I could only imagine how unattractive I was to this semi-stranger.

"No thank you," I put my head down, watching the floor as I walked vigilantly to the back of the store.

I looked through the ice cream cones, debating on which one I wanted. There were 32 flavors and just, not enough time! I wanted all of them at once, and then I thought about my other favorite snack... White Cheddar Cheese-It's! I had just enough money to buy them too! They were sitting on the shelf right in front of the cashier; I still didn't make any attempt to play place-the-face. I just strolled on up and put the box on the counter, waiting for a total price.