CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

I slam into something face first, and the blackness behind my closed eyes turns a shade of a color I've never seen.

"Ahhhh! Ahhhh!" I shout. I feel hands touching me, but I slap them away. "Don't touch me! Don't touch me!"

"Gavin, it's us!" Perry's voice calls out from somewhere nearby.

My eyes shoot open and I jump up.

"Breathe. It's just us. It's me." Dakota's face and golden hair come into focus.

I'm back in my room. I clench my comforter in my fingers. I stare at the dolphin portrait, my window, my dresser. I stomp my foot on the floor. It's actually there. I'm not going to go plummeting another thousand stories.

"We need to stop them," I shout. "We need to stop them."

"What was it like?" Perry asks.

"Everything's changed. Everything!"

"Details, maybe?" Dakota says.

I'm still shaken up from my fall, Meesha's death, my captivity. "Not now. No time. I'll explain later. But it's horrible."

I fumble over to my dresser and pull out the calling device that Naima gave me. She picks up instantly.

"Are we ready?" she says.

"We're ready." My voice is still shaky. "We have our flights booked for tomorrow."

"I will tell you what flight you are going on."

"But the tickets are already paid for."

"So change them."

"Fine. What flight?"

"Flight 2424. Eight in the morning. And remember, come alone."

"I want to talk to Edwin."

She sighs. "Fine."

I hear the clicking noise. "Axel," she says. "Put the boy on."

"He's asleep," he replies.

"So wake him up," she snaps.

"Hello?" It's Edwin's fragile voice.

"Edwin? Edwin, it's me, Gavin."

"Gavin, am I going home? I miss my family. I wanna go home. Please."

"Yes, tomorrow. Are you still all right still?"

"Yeah, but I wanna go home—"

"Okay. Listen, buddy, you're coming home tomorrow. I'm going to bring you home and you'll be safe again. Okay?"

"You promise?"

"I promise. I pinky promise. I promise on my life."

"Okay ... but please hurry."

I hear the clicking noise, and Naima comes back on the line. "Happy?"

"Naima."

"Mm-hmm?"

"I'm begging you. Please, please don't hurt him. Just bring him to us and I am yours. No tricks. Just me. I'll do whatever you want. Just please don't hurt him."

"You have my word. So long as you follow our plan, the boy returns. Simple as that." The line goes dead.

"What's going on?" Dakota asks.

"We're leaving. We're getting Edwin back. That's what's happening."

Perry grabs me and forces me still. "What happened there? What'd you see?"

What did I see? My mind flashes to Meesha. Poor Meesha. She didn't deserve to die. Not for me. No one deserves to die for me.

And no one will again.

I shake myself free. "Later. We have too much to get ready for. I need you to call Mario. Tell him to tell Ralph that we have to switch our flights."

He shakes his head but doesn't press me. Dakota is planted behind him with her arms crossed. She looks concerned, but she doesn't press me either.

"I need to be alone," I say. "I need to do something. Alone."

"Sure..." Perry says. "Yeah, that's fine."

He walks out, but Dakota stays behind.

"I don't know what you're up to, but you owe me an explanation." She comes over and studies my face closely before following Perry out.

I lock my door and dial out.

Meesha picks up. "How ya doing, baby doll?"

Her voice sends chills down my spine. I'm sorry Meesha. I'm so sorry for this. For everything.

"Meesha ..."

"Well, that's who you called now, ain't it?"

"I need to talk to you."

"What's going on?"

"I ..." I nearly choke on my words. "I leave in the morning. To get Edwin. I'm not coming back, either."

"What do you mean, you ain't coming back?"

"Just listen to me, please. I wanted to say this in person, but there's no time and I honestly don't think I can face you."

"Don't you dare—"

"Stop. Just listen," I choke out. "I don't know how or why we met, but you are one of the most important people I've ever met. You are so special. You never deserved to get involved in this. And if you go on, you'll only end up getting hurt."

"What shenanigans are you talking?"

"I saw it. I went to the future. I went to see what The Peace Hunters do. It's bad. But worse than that, it doesn't end well for you. I need to set you free from this now. Before it's too late."

"Don't you tell Meesha what she needs to do, you hear me?"

"Meesha—you die! Because of me!"

She goes silent.

"Stop, please!" I say. "It's done. It's over. Don't come after me. Don't try to protect me anymore. Let me be the one to protect you." I hear her sobbing and the sound slices through me. "I'll never forget you."

"You are breaking my heart. Don't you ever leave me!"

"I'm so sorry, Meesha. Please forgive me."

I press END and drop to my knees.

It's all coming to an end.