CHAPTER 1

You have no idea how delighted I was to leave Manchester for Seoul. 4 days before I left my friends, my neighbors and the rest of my minor life, my brother named Leo demanded on throwing me a farewell party. I didn't have any expectations for the event to be extravagant or va-va voom since I was more or less forced to invite my "friends," i.e., some girls and nerds I sit with during lunch in the colossal cafeteria of my public school whom I knew they wouldn't come. However, Leo insisted, awash in the delusion that I had kept my popularity secret from him all these years. In order to avoid any casualties in the kitchen or our house in general, he ordered some pizzas, Chinese food and bought some chips. He adorned our living room with pink and orange balloons and red streamers. He bought dozens of Cokes and placed them around the edge of our coffee table.

When Friday arrived, Leo and I sat in the living room as we waited patiently for my so-called friends to ring the doorbell. Surprisingly, some of them did come. I took a deep breath and opened the front door to welcome them to the most depressing going-away party in the 21st century. Ben, a long-faced, skinny guy with straight black hair swept over one eye and his long-time girlfriend, Lila were at the door.

"Hey Jane," Ben said as he sat down.

"Hey man," I said.

"How are you? How's your weekend?" he asked.

"I'm good. I spent most of the time in my room. You know, packing and stuff. What about you?"

"Me and Lila and the rest of the gang went to Diane's party. It was havoc as hell. You should have been there."

"That sounds dope," I said shortly. I might have asked tons of questions regarding the party except that a) I wasn't invited to that party b) I hated talking about that bitch c) I was never good at small talks. Leo, on the other hand, was an expert at small talks. He could go on for hours. Thus, he continued the conversations by asking them about how the party had gone, who got drunk, and stuff like that.

"Diane was so drunk last night that she threw up at her boyfriend," Lila said. "5 minutes later, the police arrived so we had to bunk out as soon as possible. It was sick."

"Holy crap. Really? Well, thank the Lord that Jane didn't go to that party. I don't want her to get pregnant before moving out without knowing who the father is. Right sis?" Leo intruded. I narrowed my eyes at him. Lila just laughed at his little remark

Shortly, Ben got up from his seat and said, "Well, we just dropped by to bid our farewells. I've got to send Lila home before 7pm. We are going to miss you, Jane. Have fun at Seoul."

"Thanks," I answered, relieved. Thank God he didn't make a long-ass farewell speech. The last thing I wanted from this party is fake tears and drama.

They left and I sat across Leo in the living room. I wanted to reach out the book on the coffee table which I've been dying to read but I couldn't. I felt Leo's gaze all over me. He was waiting for me to burst into tears or hug him or do something for comfort but I didn't. Instead, I looked at him back. His eyes were bluer than ever. All I see was pity written all over them. I wasn't disappointed though. I had met my expectations.

"Now I know why you want to leave Manchester so bad. Is this the reason why?" Leo asked.

I thought of an answer, careful not to look at him again. "Nope," I responded.

"Then, why?" Leo asked while he downed some chips. I gave him are-you-serious face. He had asked this exact question a month ago and I gave him the exact same answer.

'First, dad attended the school I'm going to in Seoul and he was a successful man to begin with. Second, Kai is currently in Seoul, my long-time best friend who is the most trustworthy person in the entire galaxy besides you. Third, we can't afford this house. You don't have a job. You got fired- "