Chapter 3-Drain

Chapter 3

As the huge black horse trotted up to the porch, Goldie was surprised to find Miss Burnett atop the beast; the horse was huge for the such a small woman. She nodded to Goldie and then swung down gracefully from her mount.

"Miss Burnett, is everything okay?" Goldie queried as she was waiting at the edge of the porch for the woman as she had dismounted her horse.

"Nothings the matter dear, I'm afraid that just simple absent-mindedness is cause for my visit. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me set up for the dance; you know decorations, food preparations and all. Your brother is welcome to stay and play as we get things together, we may even be able to find things for him to do as well to help out." Miss Burnett stated. Goldie was surprised that her teacher had ridden all the way out here in the evening for a question like this. It was more likely that the teacher was concerned and wanted to check up on them.

"Yes ma'am we would love to help out." Goldie quickly offered. Miss Burnett smiled knowing that she would get a quick acceptance of her plea for help.

"Great, well then here is a little something for you and Johnny as a thank you for being willing to help out then." Miss Burnett said as she pulled out a basket covered with a cloth.

"Oh you don't have to give us anything. We really don't mind helping and maybe it will keep Johnny out of trouble for an afternoon." Goldie said feeling ashamed that the teacher had ridden out to check up on them and bring them food; food that they really should accept as it was so hard to come by.

"I insist, it's I who is asking for help and I will give my thanks how I see fit. Now take them or you will risk offending me greatly," She stated sternly.

"Yes, ma'am," Goldie said in a low, ashamed tone, accepting the basket.

"There, now I will see you tomorrow, don't be late," Miss Burnett said and then she swung up just as gracefully as she had dismounted and was galloping off out of the drive. After finishing the pants of Mr. Prindle's, Goldie took the basket inside to see what goodies lay beneath the cloth. There were many things; some candies, jerked beef, biscuits and sticky buns. Goldie sat down in the kitchen chair and took the first bite from the sticky bun, her eyes closed and she groaned just a little at how wonderful it tasted, how sweet and soft as if they had been baked just this evening.

The next morning, Johnny didn't want to get ready for school; he wanted to stay home with momma. Goldie was becoming very frustrated with him; she had spent hours the night before tending to her mother, making sure she was clean and that she drank some broth and her medicines. She was so tired that she did not want to fight with her baby brother this morning. Finally, she was able to get him out the door; making sure she hadn't forgotten anything, Mr. Prindle's clothing and Miss Burnett's basket and cloth.

As she dropped her brother off to his teacher she saw Tate standing in the hall looking directly at her. She wondered if she had mud on her skirt or something. She looked down but all looked well. She continued until she was nearly to where he was.

"Goldie," her name coming from him sent all sorts of odd feeling through her that she didn't know what to think about.

"Tate, h-how are you," she stuttered. She hated that she was such a nervous nelly around him but there was just something about him.

"I'm fine, I want you to go to the dance with me," he said as if he said things like that all the time. She looked up into his face astonished. He wasn't a man of many words so when he talked he made them count.

"M-me, your joking right, where is Steel? I thought we were friends, sort of Tate. I don't find this humorous at all," she said getting worked up and nearly angry with him; her stuttering all gone in her anger. It was hurtful that he would play such a joke on her probably for that terrible Marie or Steel.

"No joke, I want you to go to the dance with me," he said as he looked straight back into her eyes. There was that familiar pain in Goldie's stomach again but it was nearly choking her now. Oh how she wished she could accept his invitation! To see him, all gussied up in his best; hair slicked back, his beautiful eyes shining out from his dark skin. Too bad she had no dress and no money to purchase a dress or even material to make one.

"I really can't Tate, but thanks," she told him as she walked around him quickly and into the classroom. In her head, she was cursing her father and her mother's illness. Damn it all! It's not fair! It took all she had to hold the tears back as she watched Tate walk in the classroom moments later. He appeared to not be phased by her refusal to go with him.

After class once again Marie was running after Tate like a puppy. "Tate darling, I am still waiting for that invitation, we are nearly to the day of the dance now," she whined at him. Tate and Marie continued walking and Goldie couldn't hear what they were saying but she did see Tate nod and Marie throw her arms around his neck and hug him then run toward her fancy house in the middle of town. Always the same, the rich stay rich and us poor stay poor, she thought in her self-pity. Goldie had no smile, no playfulness about her left for her brother as she walked to his class to retrieve him. This day was probably going from bad to worse when she would have to drop off Mr. Prindle's clothes.