Chapter 13: The Healer's Choice

Disclaimer, Summary and Warning could be found in 1st chapter.

Beta: Aranel

--

Imladris

Glorfindel spent the days away from Lord Elrond; he did not wish for the healer to see him as a convenient target, considering that everyone else had left him. Did the elf-lord ever stop to reflect on this issue? How had his wisdom disappeared? Elrond had blamed everything on Prince Legolas even before hearing all the facts to know what exactly had happened between Legolas and his son. And now that all his three sons were gone, was Elrond still persuaded that Legolas was entirely to be blamed?

The Balrog slayer was not feeling particularly of help but in any case, he would remain safe within the borders. It was a beautiful day, calm and peaceful, with the sun rays dancing through the trees; watching nature revealed in all its glory always brought a smile to his face. Too bad Elrond was no longer doing that lately.

Lord Glorfindel would never admit it but he missed the twins and Aragorn – a lot. True, they never ceased to bring him trouble and yet he was always thinking of them, and worrying. He joined the guards along the border. Perhaps someday soon, those children would return home.

He heard a very pressed gallop of a horse and looked up sharply. Someone was approaching as though being chased.

"A messenger from Lothlórien..." Glorfindel announced to the guards as he identified the insignia on the rider's cloak.

"I do hope that nothing has happen to Lord Elrond's sons," one of the guards said.

"Let's hope our lord would not do something as foolish as cutting off ties with Mirkwood," another guard spoke.

Glorfindel nodded. They had certainly voiced what was on his mind and he would certainly do all that was within his power to stop Elrond's destructive folly.

"I will lead him to Lord Elrond," Glorfindel decided.

"Thank you, Lord Glorfindel, for your assistance." It was clear that no one was particularly keen on this task.

"Thank you for your company," Glorfindel replied and approached the messenger.

"Mae govannen," Glorfindel welcomed the messenger as the guards attended to his horse. "What errand brings you here?"

"I bring a message. It is to be handed personally to Lord Elrond, in private," the messenger told him.

"I thought as much. I will show you to the halls."

--

Erestor missed having Aragorn around. The man enjoyed giving him advice, and he had to admit that very often, they were good, very good indeed; the man certainly had what it took to be a king.

From his study, he thought he had heard the steady beat of horse hooves. But he did not sense the presence of the human and the twins. Or perhaps that was a sole horse at full gallop? He slipped in a piece of parchment to mark the page of the book he was reading. Something had told him that this was important than checking the little details in the historical account of Glorfindel's triumphs.

The breeze ushered in Glorfindel and another elf, approaching in great hurry. He stepped forward to greet them.

"Messenger of Lórien, how may I help you?"

"I have a message from my lady for Lord Elrond," The messenger replied. "She bids me to hand it to him personally, and in private."

Erestor nodded. "He is in his study. I will announce your arrival and he shall meet you shortly, after which you would do well to refresh yourself," Erestor told him.