Chapter 6

Keeping as still as possible, I push the branches to the side. Shifting onto my knees, I look through the gap, searching for him. I don’t even know his name, yet I know it’s him. He’s my soul mate. Every being in the universe has at least one soul mate. Time Lords, among a few other species, however, have only one.

I finally spot him. He’s speaking to my brother. If only he knew, the Master’s little sister was his soul mate. He’d be disgusted. Emotionally tied to a traitor, even though I'm only doing it for his safety. ‘His life for information,’ Davros had said, if only I had known. If only I had known what information the Creator of the Daleks had wanted from me.

And I gave it to him.

*****

There are many places I've always wanted to sleep.

The console, however, is not one of them.

I don’t know what happened, all I remember is listening to Cassathia in my head, then… nothing.

Shaking my head quickly, I hear Cassie stumbling down the hall. I turn towards the hall with a grin on my face, only to have it disappear within seconds.

Is this what humans describe as “time standing still”? Because that sure is what it felt like when she walked over the threshold.

I hadn’t noticed how beautiful she was. But I can't be thinking these things, not now. I’ll never find my soul mate, I know that, I know she’s dead, but I won’t, I won’t fall in love with someone else. And not a human, not after Rose.

“What?” I hear a tiny voice, shaking me from my thoughts. I realise I'm staring, a little too late. Turning away quickly, I begin to fiddle with the controls on the console.

Ignoring her, I begin wondering where we could go.

“How about Felspoon?” I ask, absentmindedly. “My friend said they had mountains that sway in the breeze. Mountains that move,” I say, imitating Donna. I sigh. Donna Noble, my best friend, that I will never be able to see again.

“Felspoon?” Cassie attempts, frowning. Her face lights up. “Let’s do it!”

Grinning, I pull one lever, and off into the vortex we fly.