Forbidden Love (Poker Face)

Poker Face

Poker Face

    Takashi.

    That is my name. People call me Taka for short.

    I was adopted to the Nishioka family at age 9. Nagi was 5. Ever since that day, I have become her "niichan". My father tells me that mom really wanted to have a son. But why adopt someone older than their own daughter? Simple. They wanted someone to watch over her.

    And just as they wanted, I became her protective brother who watches over and often spoils her. To be honest, I disliked the thought of being adopted. When the orphanage informed me about the adoption, I resented the idea. I refused to move in with the new family. But it all changed when I finally met them face to face. Especially when I saw my soon-to-be sister. When she ran to me and gave me a hug to welcome me, calling me "oniichan" on our first meeting, something changed my mind... and heart.

    Nagi and I are very close that people really think we are real siblings, but both of us know we're not, yet she doesn't treat me differently. She openly tells me she's very happy to have me. It also makes me happy. As siblings, we are also very open to each other.

    But there is only one thing I can never tell her or our parents...

    The one, deepest secret I kept all this time.

    I love Nagi.

    I love her not as my sister... but as a woman.

    But I didn't realize this from the first time I saw her. I even tried denying it for a long time. When we were growing up, we used to play together with our neighbors which we considered our childhood friends; Shuichi, the elder brother and Shuji, the younger one. Shuichi is younger by a year to me while Nagi and Shuji were the same age.

    I started to have weird feelings whenever our parents and their parents tease my sister to Shuji. Sometimes talking about arranging them together in the future and all that crappy talk. I didn't like it. But I kept it to myself. I never resented the Kusakabes also,especially Shuji. I still maintained our friendship but I kept a limitation to our closeness. I wanted to keep an eye on him and observe his attitude towards Nagi.

    During high school, they became closer and more familiar with each other. I became a bit worried because I was in college already and couldn't stay close to her all the time, but I still had my ways. I decided to become a Mathematics teacher. When she was in her last year in high school, I was having my training in her school so I still got to keep an eye on her and witnessed how they grew distance with each other.

    I had suspected that Shuji had feelings for Nagi. I would know; I am a guy. And I especially know what it is to deny it and act like normal in front of her. I can say I am an expert on it. But I was still surprised when I just heard that he married another girl and even had a son. Then he was followed by Shuichi who also married later on and didn't go to college.

    Unlike these guys, I use my brain instead of my heart. I don't let my feelings have control over me because I know what will happen if I make the slightest mistake of showing any signs of interest towards her.

    We will be separated. More like, I will be forced to leave the Nishioka family.

    They treated me like a real son now and part of their family. What is to be expected of me? I had to be the good son... the good brother. And a good brother does not fall inlove with his own sister.

    It is forbidden.

    For the people who were around us, it is an abomination. It is a great sin.

    So I have to keep these feelings locked in safely, making sure not to spill any out. In order to continue being with her, I have to act as if I feel nothing.

    ....But there is one thing that worries me... one thing that I ask myself and could never know the answer yet.

Until when can I keep up with this and hold back all this strong feelings I have for her?