twenty-nine

Light refracted through the window and cascaded over his face. A yawn escapes his lips and he rubs his eyes. A hand is suddenly strewn over his bicep and he tenses.

He was laying down on the couch in his office, naked, underneath a blanket. But that wasn't the most disturbing part.

Behind him, a mop of blonde hair rest against his back. Taehyung groans and rolls off the couch.

"Let's sleep just a while longer.." Piper mutters, holding out her hand out while Taehyung searched for his clothes.

"Did we.." Taehyung starts, putting on his boxers frantically along with his slacks. The blondie bites her nail and grins sheepishly.

"Did we have sex?" She inquires. "Yes. Mind blowing sex, I might add."

This hit Taehyung like a truck and he crouches down on his knees. Last night was a blur, his head pounding relentlessly from a bitching hangover. Although he had broke up with Jungkook two days ago, he still felt insanely guilty, almost like he had been caught cheating.

"Baby." Piper coos, reaching out for him. He flinches and pushes her hand away.

"Don't call me that. Don't-" Taehyung winces at his headache and staggers to his feet. "I need to go."

Throwing on his jacket, he rushes out of the room and down to the lobby. The streets were crowded once he stepped out of the building. Sun rays caused his eye lids to squint and his pathway of vision to become less clear.

He stumbled down the street aimlessly until he came upon a bus stop and leaned against the wall. Running a hand through his hair, his chest heaves up and down and his mind races. How could he have slept with her? How could he...

Taehyung eventually catches a cab and curls his knees up to his chest in the back seat. Rocking back and forth. One, two, three. One, two, three.

It's okay. It's okay, he repeated.

It really wasn't okay at all.

.

The atmosphere was different when he arrived home. All the rooms were dark. All except one, the kitchen, and Taehyung approached it slowly.

Ms. Kim sat at the bar stool with her shoulders hunched. Expecting a wine glass to be in her hand, Taehyung was surprised to see that it was a photo book instead that sat in her hands. Her cheeks were damp with tears and her hair was astray from a sleepless night.

Taehyung almost felt bad for her. But all the lies sat in the back of his throat like bile and he couldn't bring himself to pity her.

"You're still my son." Ms. Kim whispers softly. "I raised you on my own. I love you..."

Her fingers hovered over a picture of Taehyung on his tenth birthday. Square smile and all, he was completely content. He wished for that simple, oblivious happiness again.

"You lied to me."

"They left you." She turns around and looks up at him desperately. "I cared for you. I'm your mother. By blood or not, I'm still your mom."

A cry escapes her lips and she leans her head against his stomach as she cries. Taehyung stays stiff and lets her lean on him. As much as he hated the situation, she was the only mother he ever knew.

"Your father." His mom suddenly peers up at him. "He left you something in your room. This morning he..." She can't seem to finish her sentence and breaks down again. Taehyung steps away and grips his jacket sleeves.

He sprints up the stair case and bursts into his bedroom. Laying on his bed was a box, a velvet bow tied around it with a note. Gingerly, he takes the note into his hand and unfolds it.

"My dearest Taehyung," He reads aloud to himself, grazing the paper corners with his fingers. "I didn't want to have to do this so soon, but I'm afraid that my time is up. I'm glad that we got to talk about things, and that I finally got to call you my son. Unfortunately, if you're reading this, it means that I am no longer going to be able to be beside you any longer."

Taehyung's vision blurs from the tears that dared to fall. He sat down on his bed and reads on.

"I regret the times I could've been there for you. I regret more than anything, not being able to the father you always wanted. I want to make it up to you, but I know that it's probably out of the question. But, it would be unforgivable of me not to try."

"You're my only son. My company, my inheritance, everything, is yours. I trust that you'll use it to find yourself and your happiness. I only wish I could've seen you become the successful man I know you'll become. I love you. Love, Dad."

His eyes and throat burned as he sat down the letter and lifted up the lid of the box. Inside was a suit, the last one his dad would ever give him. The familiar gold watch sat on top of it. It was his father's favorite watch.

Underneath the suit were folders of paper work. Bank account info, credit card transfers, inheritance paper work and so on were inside of them. However, under it all, was a slip of white paper, along with a passport.

It was a plane ticket for tomorrow morning. To the United States.

He looks over his shoulder and saw his mother standing in the door way.

"Pack your things.." She whispers, tucking her hair behind her ear. "You'll be going to the states. You'll stay there for a while and take over your father's place."

Taehyung blinks and stares at his plane ticket. He tried to weigh his options, but it was clear on what his choice was.

He needed to leave, for good.

_____

one more chapter..