14. Evidence

I returned to Dante's room and layed down next to him.

Where could Ethan be? I was super worried.

So worried that I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned. I looked at the clock.

It's twelve a.m now..

I stared at the ceiling and sighed.

I heard Dante move next to me.

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" I said.

He nodded.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"It's ok, what's wrong?" He asked.

"I'm very worried about Ethan...." I looked down. "If something happened to him..." I said.

"Take it easy, don't think like that" He said and rubbed my back. "If you want, I can go out and have a look." He said.

I looked at him. "Y..you would?"

He nodded.

"Anything for you." He got up, and got dressed. He then looked at me, held me by the waist and kissed me.

After the kiss he turned and left the room.
---

I waited for my eyes to focus in the dark. When they did, I noticed it was a guard that opened the room.

Seeing that he suspected I was up to something, I decided to act. I kneeled down in front of him.

"Oh, thank you so much! I got lost and the door got locked! I was sure I couldn't last a minute longer in there!" I said and looked at him.

He stayed quiet for a minute then nodded.

"Alright, go to your room. The killer could be out there." The guard said.

"Thank you! And please, apologize to the king on my behalf. I didn't mean to be on his study." I said and started walking away.

"His study? This isn't the king's study" He said.

I stopped and looked at him. "What?"

"This is his-"

He started saying but couldn't finish. My eyes widened when I realized what had happened. Someone threw a sharp knife and it hit him right in the forehead.

He was just murdered in front of me. I fell backwards and looked at the person who threw the knife, but they were long gone.

Someone didn't want this information to be known.

My head started spinning, my right leg was hurting from kicking the door so hard.

I groaned as I tried to get up. I cursed when I tried to run.

"F..fuck..this really hurts." I said.

I kept trying to run. I groaned again.

"Ahg.."

"You want some help there?" I heard someone say. I know that voice too well.

"Yes, but not from you." I replied and tried walking again.

"You sure?" He replied.

"Y..yes" I kept walking at my own pace. I hate him so much.

I suddenly lost my footing and was about to fall.

"Gah!"

Dante caught me and held me up.

"You won't make it to the room like this" He said.

"Why do you want to help me?" I asked.

"I don't. I'm doing this for her." He said.

I glared at him. I guess I have no choice. I won't get there with the way my leg is.

I leaned on him, and we slowly made our way back to the room.

---

I was pacing back and forth. I looked at the clock again.

12: 30

I kept walking around the room, then I suddenly heard the door open.

I saw Ethan enter the room with Dante.

"Ethan!" I said. I ran to him and hugged him tight.

He returned the hug.

"W...where were you?! I was so worried!" I said tearing up.

He looked at me, cleaned a tear that was falling across my cheek and began explaining.

"I was following the king, he led me to what I believe is the tallest tower this castle has. I walked up the stairs and into this weird room. When I turned around to leave, the door closed. He locked me in there." He said.

I looked at him. "Why were you leaning on Dante when you got here?"

"Since I was locked in there for awhile I..tried to kick down the door and hurt my leg in the process. That place was creepy" He said.

"Creepy?" I asked.

"There was a list of people he killed and it seems there are more people left." He said.

"W....what?" I said.

"He still has six people left" He explained.

I looked at him in shock.

"I also found the poison bottle and the missing knife" He said and looked at me.

I gasped

"By any chance did you know what room it was?" Dante asked.

"No, the guard was about to tell me then..." Ethan started saying.

"Then what?" I asked.

"He was killed" He finished.

Dante walked to the window and looked out. "I can't believe it, after working for this family all my life..."

I looked at Dante, then at Ethan.

"What are we gonna do now?" I asked.

Ethan looked at me.

"There's only one thing to do" He said.

Dante sighed.

"I'm afraid he's right, as much as I hate to admit it." Dante said and walked towards us.

I helped Ethan get on the bed.

"You guys get some rest. I'll keep watch. I'm not tired anyways." Dante said and walked to the bathroom to change.

I looked at Ethan. He was out like a light already.
After all that, of course he would be tired.

Dante came out of the bathroom and stood at the door. Not saying a word.

So tomorrow will finally be the day this nightmare ends. We'll present the evidence against the king, and this will all be over.

I'm sad it came to this, but with everything we found out, It's more than obvious. The king murdered all those people. But something still seems off..

Why would he do that?
What does he gain from doing this?
Why did he start on his daughter's birthday?

Maybe all my questions will be answered tomorrow. The king must know by now that we know something or that suspect him at least. That thought terrifies me.

He's killed seven people already.... one was in front of Ethan. I wonder what's he's gonna do if he doesn't kill all twelve.

I suppose we will find out soon enough.

[So sorry about the late upload. I've been busy. It's also hard finding motivation to write each day.]