Pancakes and Opportunity

Five minutes after the movie and the trio runs to Alfred's room, each of the three wanting to reach it first for no particular reason. This leaves Matthew alone on the couch along with his pet polar bear. He lies there, rubbing Kumajiro's belly who is currently lying on top of him. Suddenly, his tummy rumbles.

Oh maple, he forgot about the pancakes! And it was all because of Alfred insisting to watch a boring cliché zombie movie with him and his friends, leading him to forget about his hunger for more than half an hour.

Why did he even agree on watching? The movie wasn't even his type, and he ended up wasting time when he should've been eating his perfect pancakes. Nothing would've made him watch the movie if it wasn't for-- Oh, of course. He got to sit next to Gilbert, the so called awesome Prussian whom he swears he has only a little crush on. How he wished he could stop these feelings from corrupting his mind. He never liked wurst, anyway.

He goes straight to the refrigerator, not having any time for apron dress up due to the Canadian hunger he wants to end as quickly as possible.

Matthew mixes all the required ingredients in the bowl. He does have pancake mix, but that's for Alfred, and unlike his brother he likes to make things from scratch. He got little spills on the counter, but he could clean them up as soon as he finishes removing batter lumps.

Meanwhile, while hanging out in Alfred's room, Gilbert gets a little thirsty. He'd like if there was some juice or water for him to drink downstairs, and if he's lucky, he might even find Alfred's secret stash of alcohol. Alfred hides a lot of secret stashes, and the Prussian might've stumbled into a couple of them by pure accident.

"I'm thirsty", Gilbert notifies Alfred, walking out the door as he speaks. "The awesome me will be  raiding your precious kitchen!"

"Kay, manslut!"

"Fick dich!"

As soon as the Prussian reaches the kitchen, he rushes to the refrigerator, not giving any notice to the Canadian who is furiously making pancakes.

"Hello? Bieeeeeer?", Gilbert mutters as he opens the fridge to search for his favorite drink. As he couldn't find any cans or bottles, he sighs and gives up, carelessly slamming the door of the precious food keeper. This startles Matthew, as the whisk he used fell from his hand and into the batter.

"Bullshit.", Matthew audibly sighs, catching the attention of Gilbert. As the Canadian takes the whisk out to wash in the sink, seeing the bowl of pancake batter, Gilbert immediately finds something to start a conversation with. He originally wanted something to drink, but he JUST couldn't miss this sweet opportunity.

"What's cooking, good looking~?", Gilbert grins, leaning on the counter just beside the sink. Ah, he always wanted to say that.

And again he startles Matthew, although this time the a red tinge can be found on his cheeks.

"O-Oh, Gilbert... Pancakes... Although it's not cooking yet, so you can't say I'm cooking anything..."

Matthew just had to spit that out. He couldn't help but think it was a bad use of the line. Gilbert chuckles.

"Would you prefer 'what's mixing, good looking'?"

"There's no need to add 'good looking' in every single sentence, you know..."

"But it would be a shame if I hadn't used it on someone as cute as you~", Gilbert flirts, a goofy grin plastered on his face.

Matthew looks down at his washed whisk, unable to make eye contact with the Prussian for he's afraid he might turn into a blushing mess. He looks at the pancake batter behind Gilbert (why would he even lean on the counter where there's pancake batter?) and figures he should really start to cook it.

"I-I'll uh... just need to get this batter behind you..."

Before Matthew could reach the batter, the mischievous Prussian set it aside, pushing it farther away from the blonde. He wanted to mess around for a bit.

"Nope!"

After a minute of failing to reach the batter from the troublemaker, Matthew raises his head up to meet with Gilbert's eyes, a look of frustration shown in his expression. Sure, Gilbert would see him blushing a bit, but what matters the made are the pancakes. He needs them.

"Please?"

"Hmm..." Gilbert places a hand on his hip and rubs his chin with the other as if to seem like he's contemplating.
"Depends."

"What? D-Depends on what?"

"Depends on whether you'd give me a smooch or not~"

Oh, Matthew really hoped it hadn't come to this. But to be honest, he's quite happy it did. This would be a great excuse to kiss him. If he's brave enough.

"...Are you serious?"

"Well, If you don't want your pancakes..."

Gilbert closes his eyes and leans close to the Canadian, puckering up a little and jokingly waiting for a kiss.

Matthew stands there, asking himself whether the Prussian is actually serious or not. He really needs his batter, but kissing Gilbert would develop his feelings even more, and he'd end up being rejected by the guy who probably has someone over three times every week. He hates rejection... not that he hasn't experienced it enough.

The Prussian kept his position and waited for the kiss that would possibly never come.

He'd be too shy and reserved to do that, Gilbert thought. Anyhow, it's just a joke, and no way the Canadian would do that for pancake batter.

Yet he did.

But, bUT buT BUT just a millisecond before their lips touch, Gilbert ends up doing something very stupid. He pulls away and grins, not even sensing that Matthew was already about to kiss him.

"Nah, kidding! Just tell me where the beer...is.."

He opens his eyes, only to find a puckering Matthew, face just millimeters away from him. I blew it, didn't I? The Canadian opens his eyes, and in realization he backs away, cheeks as red as cherry and his amethyst pair widened in embarrassment.

"O-Oh, err.. b-beer? I-I found some inside the ice box a-at the backyard..."

"Kesese... uh, danke..."

"The batter..."

Gilbert smiles awkwardly and gives the batter to Matthew, internally screaming and scolding himself for the missed opportunity. "Ja, here." He swiftly walks towards the backyard, desperately wanting to escape the scenario.

Matthew sighs, taking the batter in hand and starting to cook. Exactly how many times does he have to embarrass himself in front of the Prussian?

He blew it.

They both blew it.

Way to go?

----
A/N: I'll probs have chapters later than this. Sorrynotsorry~