Chapter 2- Luana

Chapter 2- Luana (third person)

"Come to me girl!" The dark skinned girl obeyed.

She was taught to behave from birth. She was a woman in a men's world and women did as they were told.

She ran to her father. She skidded to a stop and had to brush the long black hair away from her silver eyes. Her father shook his head at her childish actions.

"Luana. You know you must grow up. You must marry. Your husband must be chief of our tribe."

"I know father I am truly sorry."

Her apologies fell on deaf ears for he continued the same speech she had heard a million times before. Luana fought the urge to roll her eyes out of irritation.

She knew she had to grow up, but she had only seen summer 17 times. This would be her last summer as an unmarried woman. By the next summer she knew she would be carrying a child.

"He must be strong and wise. I fear we will go to war. The white man is knocking at our door.

I just want you to be taken care of. I also want my people taken care of. I trust very few so I have chosen three men of which you may choose to marry."

Luana stared at her father in complete shock. She knew he would do anything for the tribe but arranging her marriage?

This was a new addition to the chief's normal lecture about responsibility.

B-but father..."

"Silence! You will choose and be wed within the year.

You must be a wife. You will be a good wife. You have cared for me since the passing of your mother, but now you must care for a husband and produce heirs.

I am sorry to say I can not be lenient. I must do what is best for my people."

Her reply came out sharper than she desired.

"Am I not one of your people? Am I not your daughter?"

The chief of the tribe already had deep frown lines that made him look far older than his years. His frown lines grew deeper as he looked intently at his daughter.

Just as he opened his lips to speak three men walked into their home.

They looked like intruders and Luana pushed away the strong desire to run far away from her responsibilities.

She longed to be running through the woods or swimming in the river. Not here. Not choosing to wed one of three men which she loved none.

The young Indian stood tall as she began to carefully studied the three men.

The first was well built and cocky...too cocky. His tan skin was lighter than hers but matched the color of most of their people.

His dark hair hung down just passed his shoulders and he had a red feather placed in his hair...warrior. His dark eyes gave nothing away but she felt that he was not a loving being. She did not want to marry a violent man.

It did not happen often among the tribe but occasionally there would be one.

When the man would be brought before the chief he showed no mercy and executed him. My father showed no tolerance for men that did not show respect to the mother of their children.

The second man was not as heavily built but handsome none the less.

His jet black hair hung shorter than the first. He was glancing around nervously as if he was looking for a way of escape from Luana's intense stare.

His dark eyes were windows to his soul. He wore his heart on his sleeve....he would not do.

A leader needed to have emotions but he also needed to be able to hide those emotions and do what is best for his people.

Her father mastered the second trait maybe too well.

The last man was small with little muscle. His black hair fell almost to his waist and his black eyes scared her.

He glances away every time she counted to two. He was afraid. He was nervous. He would never make a good chief.

"Father. None of these men will do. I will not share a marriage bed with any of them.

I am sorry to say I can not marry for anything less than love. It's what mom would have wanted.

One day I will find him and we will wed. He will become chief and lead our people into a time of great prosperity. Until then though I shall not wed and hear no more of it."

The leader of the tribe had kept a hard neutral face until Luana brought up his former wife. His face softened and he became the age that he really was.

"I shall agree to your conditions. It is what your dear mother would have wanted.

As long as no white man steals my daughters heart. For then I shall cut his out."