Chapter 3- Jackson

Chapter 3- Jackson

Dear Mother,

Boot camp is hard.

I shall not paint pretty pictures for you about how the generals don't yell and we all get three healthy meals a day. Or how when the rain falls from the sky we stay inside and warm ourselves by the fire. For all of this would be lies.

The meals are vile, but they fill our stomachs. I imagine many have worse than I. The rain is cold as it slips through my thinning shirts.

We don't wear nice clothes. Our shirts and trousers are not pressed, but clean nonetheless. I have socks and shoes upon my feet which is more than I can say for other men.

The generals yell quite loud. I have learned rapidly that you do as they say because their is no mercy.

Luckily I did not learn the hard way unlike the very stubborn soldiers.

It is two months till Christmas and I miss my family so. I have a worry in the pit of my stomach that tells me it will be long before I see my home again.

I wish to see the sights and smells of our home invade my dreams. I pray one day I shall return with honor bestowed upon my family.

Unfortunately I have sad news to report. The other day as a sat eating, a group of generals passed by table having an intense conversation.

I have found they plan to travel to the land of the Indian. They believe gold has been found.

These people are greedy and just wish to see their faces' reflections in the gold. They care not for the people they may injure or the lives they will take.

I must shamefully admit that I have became greedy myself. I have a desire to hold the gold in my hands. I want something to show for my time here.

Well mother I must end my letter for I am needed. It may be much time before I can find a paper and pen to write with. The time will be even more scarce when we begin our plans to move camp.

Send my love to all of family and my wonderful sisters. I shall hope and pray to see you soon.

Please remember your loving son in your prayers.

Your dearest son,

Jackson.

***********^^^^^^^^****^^^