Chapter 7

The music ended, replace by something more rhythmic. The boys dragged Matthew into their circle of nonsense to everyone else around them. Karen leaned on Nancy’s shoulder when the latter crossed her arms over her chest, watching the boys laughing out loud.

“So romantic,” Nancy laughed, a small smile on her lips.

“Did they really kiss?” Karen added, looking straight ahead.

“You are so funny,” Julie replied with a sigh.

Her friends laughed when Julie returned to her seat. They went to join her, repeating that there was love. The young girl blushed. She hid her face while her two best friends were laughing. She asked them to stop their childish game. Karen told her that the rumor was officially verified.

“I never thought he would be able to do so,” Nancy said, laughing.

“He finally succeeded!” Karen threw happily, applauding. “But what will happen with their story?”

“Leave me alone, please.”

But she blushed a little too much to her own taste. Christopher came to ask them to come and dance with them. Karen and Nancy looked forward to follow him. Julie pretended an urge to go to the bathroom. They nodded and went away with Christopher. The young girl gave a deep sigh of relief. She went to the toilet. Along the way, she met Matthew. He seemed embarrassed by the look she gave him. He looked down at the ground.

“You… you weren’t dancing with the others?”

Her voice betrayed certain unease. She didn’t know how she should act with him.

“I disappeared.”

She nodded before entering the bathroom. She was about to leave the cabin when she heard a girl laugh. Then the door swung open, letting Dominique and Rachel in. They were still talking. The conversation seemed to revolve around a boy in particular. Julie remained silent and attentive to learn more, curious.

“How can you manage to stand him?” Dominique launched, outraged. “He follows you everywhere!”

“He’s nice.”

“Oh come on! It’s too obvious that he loves you!”

Rachel mumbled something that Julie was unable to understand. Except that now she knew who the two shrews were talking about. Christopher… She listened. Dominique sighed deeply before saying that his parents’ bank account was very interesting. However, Rachel said nothing. Hmm… Very interesting. I would have thought she would have approved. The conversation wasn’t finished.

“He’s really nice. I swear! I might be able to enjoy it if we were at the cottage with them…”

“Ah! Me and nature… I don’t think so.”

“I know. Me neither, but it could be an opportunity to get a little closer to him…”

“He might give you a lot of gifts.”

“There’s not just money, you know.”

“Are you kidding? Don’t tell me it might be something between you two!”

“But you don’t know him very well, I can see.”

Dominique gave a little grunt before saying she would have like Maxim’ parents to be full of cash like Christopher’s. At least she would have received a big compensation. Rachel asked her if she soon would stop using him. Dominique broke a cynical laugh.

“And then what? This guy would be nothing without me!”

“What? You won’t dump him?”

Dominique sighed deeply.