Chapter 5

It was the only event that came into her head. But why should she remember this incident? She hadn’t caused the fire! And the former owner wasn’t part of her family, or any of her friends. So why should she remember this tragic event? She shook her head. There had been several deaths due to negligence of the owner. He was responsible. She didn’t want to think about it.

She opened her computer and went to the local newspaper’s website. From there, she consulted the archives relating the tragic events of that evening. She found several articles and photos of what happened. Photographers were able to take many pictures of the building in flames. Then she found other clippings covering the collective funerals of the victims. Julie hadn’t attended them. Her parents had gone there, but she hadn’t lost any classmate.

She shook her head, still trying to understand why no one else seemed to have received a message like hers. Maybe they found something, but they refuse to admit it. Just pretend it’s a very bad joke. She smiled a little, thinking that in movies, tragedies who went back suddenly meant that the anniversary of the tragedy approached.

“And we’re in June. No need to panic!”

She shrugged before let herself fall again on her bed. Her tests were supposed to be the only thing to occupy her mind. So no time for anything else! Her friends’ words came to her mind. She pushed them out again.

“Bullshit! Forget it!”

She took her notebook and returned to the living room to study, Max at her feet.

* * * * *

The end of the week arrived faster than expected. Julie threw her orange peel before informing her mother that she would attend the last hockey game in early evening. She promised not to miss the dinner celebrating the engagement of Pascal and her big sister Mary.

“I know my friends will eat a bite before the game.”

“Around which time is the game?”

The young girl shrugged, searching her memory.

“No idea. I’ll join them later anyway.”

“The last game of the finals held during the exams period? It’s not serious!”

“The guys also don’t agree that it also happens so late after the end of the regular season, but it ends tonight with a massacre!”

“I met Philip’s mother today. She believes that the team will win the trophy tonight.”

“The team thinks so too.”

“We would be there, but Mary wants to start planning the wedding.”

“Don’t worry: I’ll represent the whole family!”

Her mother smiled at her before asking how was going her tests period. Julie shrugged before answering that she was anxious that everything was over. The ringing of the phone interrupted their conversation. The young girl took the phone that was on the counter. She pressed the button to answer.

“Yes?”

At the other end of the line, she heard only silence. She frowned, listening carefully. She thought she could hear a conversation without being able to distinguish the exact words. She realized it was the TV. Except that the caller still hadn’t spoken a single word. She waited a few seconds before pushing a deep sigh. She began to pound on the counter, slightly impatient.

“Yes hello! Is there someone there?”

She heard a door opened and a female voice said:

“But what are you doing? I need the phone, M…”