What Is With You?

I don't normally dress like this , but I think it's time for a change. I wear a black dress and boots that go up to right below my knees.

I walk into the school, my bag slung over my shoulder and a serious expression on my face. I walk up to Colton's locker.

"Whoa! What happened to you?" He asks holding up his hands and backs up but a playful smile appears on his face.

" Nothing. What's up with you?" I ask, practically yelling.

"What do you mean?" He asks, a confused look on his face.

"Why were you such a jerk yesterday? That was totally uncalled for!" I yell.

"I don't get why your acting this way?" He says.

"Look of you want to be a total jerk fine! But I don't want to get close to a jerk! Or to someone who keeps secrets!"

He has a hurt look on his face. I turn on my heel and walk away. Tears threaten to come out of my eyes. I go to find Kris.

He's sitting at a table with some of the smart kids. I sit next to him and put a smile on my face.

"Hey." I say.

"Hi," he answers.

"Look I'm sorry about what happened yesterday. That was stupid." I say.

"Hey it's fine. That guy was a total jerk! Is he your boyfriend?"

"No!" I say. "Anyway, I guess I'll see you later."

I leave the table and head to class. I can't concentrate. What had I done?

*******

I sit in the bleachers, watching soccer practice and doing my homework. I look up and see that Kris is standing there with a goofy smile on his face.

"How's it going?" He asks sitting next to me.

"Pretty good," I answer. He's wearing a soccer uniform.

"Do you want to go to ice cream after practice?"

I smile."Sure." I answer.

He smiles and heads back to practice. Madison walks over.

"Who was that?" She asks.

"That's Kris. He's new here. He invited me to ice cream after practice." I answer smiling at her.

"Omg! That's great!" She says hugging me.

We talk for a long time. I haven't realized how much we haven't talked. It feels so great!

"What about Colton?" Madison asks suddenly.

"I...I don't know. He's been so different lately. I don't want to hang out with a jerk." I answer smugly.

"Oh okay. Well I have to go. Mom and Dad said if I don't get my grades up, I can't go camping over Christmas break." She says with a pout.

" I'll help you study later. Let's meet tomorrow after school," I say hugging her.

"Bye!" She leaves with a smile.

I sit and work on homework more. The sun is setting when Kris comes over.

"You ready?" He asks. I nod and get into his car. Dad had dropped me off at school this morning.