Chapter 5

I pushed through the cafeteria doors finding my way to our table sitting down quietly. Lola was currently munching on her sandwich listening to Venn talk about how the most popular girl in school Vickey cheated on Darren with some guy from a local private school.

    "But Darren is so cute!" Lola said, her mouth stuffed with bread and turkey.

    "Ugh he deserves someone so much better than her," Sadie bowed her head. She'd had a crush on Darren since she'd arrived last year. I felt bad for Sadie though, she always got a blow to her self esteem when it came to him. She didn't understand why he hadn't noticed her, especially after her glow up.

    "Don't worry hun, he's just a boy and he'll see you soon enough," Venn winked.

    "Why were you late?" Lola suddenly turned to me.

    "I was talking to Levi before Hunter rudely interrupted to tell me about our first job," I rolled my eyes and the girls followed set. Venn continued to talk about all the drama throughout the school for the rest of lunch. Before I knew it, unfortunately, it was time for French. I had another stupid quiz on conjugates.

    Sluggishly I walked through the doors to my french room, Madame Kalfus greeted me before handing me a three page quiz. The witch always made things more complicated than they needed to be. I sat in my usual spot and started to work through the test, knowing full well everything I was writing down was wrong. Then someone sat next to me nudging my shoulder.

    "Hey Gracie," Hunter whispered. I slowly glared up at him. What the hell was he doing? If we got caught talking we'd be toast.

    "Shh I'm working," I turned my back away to ignore him but he simply scooted closer.

    "What did you get for question two?" He continued.

    "Leave me alone!" I said, just a little too loudly.

    "Grace! Hunter! Ma bureau maintenant!" Madame called with a tight voice. She was asking us to go to her desk. Hesitantly I grabbed my test and slowly walked to where she stood. Hunter trailing behind me.

    "I will not tolerate cheating in my classroom," I'd never really heard Madame speak english.

    "Madame, I can assure you I was not cheating. Hunter kept-"

    "No! Both of you were talking. There is no proof! You will serve the consequences. Your tests will be put in as zeros and you will stay after school every other day of the week, tuesdays and thursdays, to organize my room and other tasks I give to you," She ordered. I could feel tears well up in my eyes. I could not fail this test. My 4.1 GPA would drop to a 3.8. I nodded my head slowly before placing my test on her desk and headed back to my table. Laying my head on the table I took in deep breaths to calm myself down.

    "Gracie-" Hunter tried.

    "Leave me alone," I turned my head away from him and waited for the bell to ring so I could go home and wallow about my tainted future.

***

    It was the Thursday afternoon, I didn't have french class today but I did have to stay after to serve my punishment. I'd told the girls about what had happened and they were furious. Hunter tried multiple times to contact me but I ignored each one. He even tried to pick me up for school today but I managed to get away in Lola's car. Currently I was in english with Venn and we were writing a short story revising each other's work.

    "Why are you perfect," Venn moaned. She was reading through my story with her eyes rapidly skimming the pages.

    "I'm not but thanks," I laughed.