4

"Hey, Trissy. How you been?" Connor said, an evil smile on his face. You know how every dumb high school movie has the problematic character that always takes his issues out on the main character and changes in the end?

Well, Connor was my problematic character, and I don't think he's gonna change.

I don't get one of those heartwarming apology scenes.

"C'mon, Tris. Talk to me. How was your weekend?" Connor's eyes were boring into me, I could feel them. I shuffled down lower into my seat, hoping for Lauren to hurry up and get here. Maybe Connor would stop if someone else was there. 

Connor picked up a piece of broccoli, spinning it in his fingers. "I know broccoli has always been your favorite." He threw the vegetable at me, hitting me in the shoulder. I didn't react, I knew not to. Connor kept taunting me, tossing bits of food at me. He motioned over his shoulder for his friend, and soon after, Levi, my worst enemy, was joining him. 

"How's your dad, Trissy?" My head snapped up at Levi's comment. 

He remembered. Shit.

I had clearly given the recreation he wanted, because he didn't stop there. "How's he been, your father? Is he still sticking with old habits?" It felt like every cut, every bruise from my stepdad was fresh and burning. 

Levi used to be my best friend. I used to tell him everything. And I mean everything. So of course he would know about my stepfather, but he had never mentioned it until now.

Connor looked at Levi, clearly surprised about how he made me react. A devilish grin broke out across his face.

"Is something going on at home, Evans?" My stomach twisted. "Does daddy hit you?" he snarled.

"S-stop," I muttered out quietly. I could feel tears prickling behind my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I wasn't going to let them beat me, too.

"Oh. So you can talk." Connor leaded towards me, looking at me through evil, squinted eyes. "I didn't realize." 

I shut my eyes, and when I opened them, Connor was gone. Levi shouted, and when I looked up, Connor was lifted against the wall. 

His collar in that boy Bradley's hands.

"Dude, what the hell?! Put me down!" Connor demanded, trying to hide the fear in his voice. Despite his efforts, a shake was audible. 

"Leave Tristan alone," Brad growled lowly, staring Connor straight in the face.

"Or what?" Connor snapped back.

"You don't wanna know."

Connor's eyebrows squished together. "Who even are you, his boyfriend or something?"

Brad clenched his jaw, fists tightening on Connor's collar. "I'm going to say this one more time. Leave. Tristan. Alone.

"Or. What?" Connor repeated in the same tone as Brad, eyes squinting at the brown haired boy.

Brad blinked, letting go of Connor and straightening the top of his jacket. Connor looked back at me, scoffing. He shook his head and started to walk away.

He made it about two steps before Brad swung and punched his right across the jaw. 

Connor fell back from the blow, landing on his ass. I stifled a laugh, covering my mouth with my hand. Brad just stood there, shaking his hand a little. He looked back at me and I smiled at him, quickly stopping when he just stood there in return. 

At that point, Levi had made a commotion, and people had gathered around us. Whispers traveled through the gathered crowd. I didn't have to listen to know they were whispering about  what happened. 

Student's heads turned, and they parted so I could see a teacher storming his way towards us. "You three," he gestured to Connor, Levi, and Bradley. "With me. Now." He pulled them away in a little group. "All of you, it's over. Nothing left to see here," the teacher yelled, gesturing for the remaining students to leave. 

The kids still there glanced at me through the sides of their eyes before finally going back to their own tables. They must have thought I wouldn't notice the looks and the murmurs, but I did. My mind let's me notice small things like that.

The only person left standing around me was Lauren. Her green eyes were wide and confused. Judging by the look on her face, she had clearly missed what had just happened. 

She slowly set her down her tray as she sat, big eyes glancing around me. 

"What I miss?"  she asked slowly, a smile forming on her lips. I just shook my head, lightly laughing. 

She started eating the food she had gotten, casually telling me a story and occasionally slapping my hand away when I tried to steal  some of her peas. 

When she finished her story, she asked, "So, what actually happened?" 

I looked up at her, popping one of her peas in my mouth. I chewed, swallowed, and mumbled, "Bradley  p-punched Connor." 

Her eyes widened. "He punched who?"

"Co-connor Ball-l," I stuttered out, stealing another couple peas. 

"Who's Connor Ball?" 

"No-o one."

She crossed her arms, leaning back in her chair. "Well, he's clearly someone if he made a big enough deal to get punched." 

I was gonna say something else, but something behind Lauren caught my gaze.  A hush fell over the cafeteria as the three boys walked back in, the only thing different was a big purple splotch on Connor's face.

Lauren turned around and looked at the three, eyes landing on the bruise. "Oh. So that's Connor."

*

Hello I'm back with an update. 

How have you been? What's going on?