8

It's only November 13th, and Lauren has already invited me to a Christmas party.

I'm not much of a partyer, if you couldn't already tell. I'm not a fan of anything too loud, crowded, social...

I haven't come up with a way to tell her that I'm not interested. I really don't want to go to this party, but I also don't want to hurt Lauren in any way shape or form, because, well, she's kinda my only friend right now.

Except Brad. But I don't really know where he stands.

"Get your ass to school," my dad sneered as he pushed open my door. I slammed my journal shut and shoved it in my backpack. I slowly stood up, not knowing where my dad was standing.

He wasn't there when I turned around. I sighed a sigh of relief. He couldn't see the cast I had on. It would make everything worse.

I shrugged on my backpack and started down the stairs; then out the door and down the sidewalk to school.

The walk was peaceful. The sky was clear, the breeze light. Warm. The sun felt amazing on my pale face. It was a perfect day for thinking.

So I thought. I thought about Lauren, and the party. I thought about Connor. I thought about Brad.

I didn't understand Brad. He acted like such a cliche "bad boy". Showing up late, smoking, swearing at teachers, getting in fights, yet underneath all of that he was kind. He stood up for me when no one else ever has. I wanted to know Brad. I wanted him to trust me. I wanted to trust him.

I only stopped thinking when I sat down in my seat. The bell rang, and Lauren sat next to me. Brad was asleep in the back, feet propped up on the desk next to him.

"Good morning class. First off I want to collect your homework. Second, can someone please wake Mr. Simpson?" A student pushed his feet off the desk and he jerked awake, a few students snickering. "Please find a seat towards the front, Brad. You know I don't like students sitting in the back. "

Brad sighed and moved forward to sit on the other side of Lauren, placing his hand on his chin and dozing off again. 

"So. Have you thought about the party at all? I would love to have you there." Lauren whispered to me excitedly.  I shrugged in response.

"Oh c'mon! It'll be so much fun!" 

I opened my notebook to a blank page and started writing. I'm not much of a party person.  

"So? You'll have a blast, I promise!"

But I wasn't invited.

"Well, I'm inviting you."

It's not your party. 

Lauren sighed, obviously frustrated. I immediately felt bad for upsetting her. 

"Look, if you're worried about people there not liking you, they'll have to deal with me. I won't leave your side." Her eyes lit up with a mischievous idea. "Brad can come along as well!"

My stomach did a flip. She must've noticed that Brad's mentioning had had an affect on me. She knew just what to do to crack me.

Dammit.

She turned to Brad, nudging him to get his attention. He looked over to us, his eyes meeting mine for a second, a small smile gracing over his lips. Lauren whispered to him and he looked back at me again. He nodded and whispered something back to Lauren. 

"He's in! Oh this is gonna be so much fun!"

I was dreading every second of this party, and I still did not want to go. But every time I glanced at Brad to find him looking back at me, I couldn't help but anticipate it a little more.