14

"Tristan!" 

I stopped writing and looked up from my textbook. 

"Tristan!" my stepdad was yelling from down stairs. I quickly got up from my desk and moved towards the stairs. 

"Don't make me ask you again!"

I rounded the corner and walked into the kitchen where my dad was sitting. "Someone's askin' for you on the phone." 

I nodded and took the phone from him. He wiped his nose before walking away. I waited until he was out of the room before putting the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, Tris!" Brad's warm voice filled my ears. I smiled, thinking back to the last time I saw him. 

"Hi! What's up?" 

"Not much. I was just wondering the same about you."

"I'm just doing some homework."

I heard Brad laugh over the phone and my stomach did a flip. It felt good knowing I could make him laugh. 

"On a Saturday?" 

I felt myself flush. "Uh-um I have nothing better to do." 

"I can think of something better than homework."

My face got even redder. I could practically hear his smile through the phone. 

"Wanna see a movie later?" 

I opened my mouth a few times, words never forming.  

"Tristan?"

"I-yes! Sorry, yes. That w-would be, um, fun. Yes." 

There was a brief pause. "Great! Great. Uh, does a 4:30 showing work? I know that's kind of soon and we can totally move it to a later- "

"It's perfect." I said quickly, growing embarrassed as I heard Brad chuckle. 

"Okay, then. Meet at the park at 4?"

"I'll see you then." 

"It's a date!" Brad added quickly before hanging up. 

I placed the phone back on the wall with a smile on my face. A date? I had a date with Brad!

I looked up from the table and saw my mother staring directly at me. The smile slid off my face. 

"That's the most I've heard you speak in a long time," she spoke quietly. It looked like she was going to cry. I just stared at her. 

"And you have friends!" 

I nodded. 

"Oh my baby." She had that same distant look behind her eyes. She floated over and wrapped her arms around me. "I'm so proud of you." 

I felt like crying as I hugged her back. I was confused and overwhelmed. I hadn't heard those words from a parent in so long. "Thank you, mom." I felt her squeeze a little harder before she let go, patted my cheek, smiled, turned, and walked back down the hallway. 

I didn't move for a few moments. I was still processing everything that had happened in the last five minutes or so. 

I looked behind me at the clock on the stove. 3:30

I shook my head to clear it and took a deep breath. I had some time to kill before meeting Brad. I couldn't focus enough to go back to homework,so I decided to make something to eat. I grabbed a packaged meal from the freezer and put it in the microwave, the smile returning to my face.