Chapter Eleven : Baby Dolls

The glare of the sun through the hospital window was what woke me up, other then the sound of April and Dylan playing Snap and April's giggling every time she beat Dylan.

"What time is it?" I yawned as I sat down next to them both. They shared an evil glance before April burst into laughter.

"Um. Lunchtime?" Dylan smirked before I launched my fist into his bicep.

"What the hell Dylan!" I said angrily as I folded my arms across my chest.

"You looked so peaceful as you slept, I even called your mum and told her what happened, she called school and said why you weren't there..." He said before he laughed with April. I gasped, this was why I never liked being away from school, my mum always came up with the worst excuses that made me either be extremely embarrassed or in serious trouble.

"What did she say?" I asked turning bright red.

"She told me to choose between two..." He chuckled before he realised how serious I was. "I chose that you had explosive diarrhoea."

"Oh my god I hate my mother!" I said hitting my hand to my forehead. He laughed and pulled me into a hug before kissing my forehead. "You are so evil!"

"I know, but you love me." He laughed before he dealed me in for Snap.

"Dylan, tell her about the carnival!" April smiled jumping up and down in her wheelchair.

"Oh yeah. The doctor came in and told us about this carnival next weekend in Fairview. His brother is running it this year and he says he can give us some tickets." Dylan said happily grabbing 3 tickets from his jeans pocket and handing them to me. I looked at the carnivals brochure and almost jumped around like April was. It looked like so much fun!

"It looks awesome!" I smiled happily handing him back the brochure.

"Yeah, anyway so we don't have to sister sit, April's best friend Maddy is coming too with her older brother Trent and his 'girlfriend' Rowena." He explained putting air quotes around the word girlfriend.

"Cool so it's a double date." I smirked before we kissed again.

The day went by quickly as we hung around the hospital so that Dylan's parents had time to get back into town and to talk with the doctors before we could take April home. Their parents came into the room after they had talked to the doctors and looked upset.

"You sure are clumsy April." Their dad laughed giving her a hug before pushing her around the room in the wheelchair.

"Thanks for helping out Tegan, it means a heck of a lot." Their mother said hugging me tightly. I could tell how fragile she was just by her grasp on me like I was the only thing keeping her upright. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly. "I can't believe this happened, I'm such a terrible mother." She said as tears rolled off her cheeks. I looked around the room carefully to make sure Dylan, April or their dad weren't looking. I pulled her out of the room and held her shoulders.

"Look at me Jessica. You are an amazing mum, you created those two amazing people in that room, you're the reason that Dylan is so amazing, you're the glue holding your family together. You have held strong since April was born, plus she has cancer and you have created this bubble of hope around your family to keep them all strong, now you need to be strong." I said watching her face as her mood lifted and she became less upset.

"I'm glad that you found Dylan, he's lucky to have found someone as great as you." She smiled.

"I'm lucky to have found him. He's the..." I started as I looked through the window into the room where Dylan was playing with April and a smile appeared on my lips and a tear fell from my cheek.

"It's okay, you don't need to say it to me, I know exactly what you're thinking." She smiled putting an arm around my shoulder. "I know you're young but you will be amazing parents."

I jumped away from her shocked at what she said. Parents? Why was she even going there? Isn't there like a line that divides the casual boyfriend pep-talk to the marriage and kids talk?

"You can hide that bump from Dylan but not from me honey." She smiled cheekily.

"What are you talking about?" I exclaimed. She thought I was fucking pregnant! I'm not gaining that much weight am I?

"When was your last period Tegan? When was the last time you had an emotional meltdown that was clearly drawn by hormones?" She asked before she walked back into the room. I stood there in shock before I ran into the bathroom. I stood in front of the sink and splashed water on my face before staring into the mirror. I lifted up my tank top slowly and turned on my side placing a hand on my stomach. I gasped before I ran out of the hospital. I ran the entire way back to my house and into the kitchen before I latched myself onto my mother and burst into uncontrollable sobs.

"What's wrong Tegan? What happened?" She asked before I curled into a ball on the floor and sobbed.

- - - - -

I woke up wrapped in my blanket with Alex sitting beside me hugging me tightly.

"You're awake, finally! My arms were sore." He said letting me go but I hugged him again refusing to let him go. "What happened Tegan? Mum was scared out of her mind, she thought you had witnessed a murder or something!"

"I thought you'd be at dad's by now." I said quietly.

"I would be if it wasn't for your meltdown. Mum couldn't get you to settle down and couldn't get you up the stairs so big brother Alex had to come to the rescue. Then you wouldn't let me go so I had to stay here all night." He said. I let go of him gently and walked over to my mirror, staring at myself like I didn't know the person in the reflection. "Why are you looking at yourself like that T? You are the same girl you've always been."

"No I'm not." I laughed.

"Why not?" He asked standing behind me.

"Would the old me be stupid enough to do what I've done?" I asked him bitterly.

"You're not stupid Tegan. What is the difference right now? Tell me. All I see is the same old girl who I've seen grow up for years." He said. I lifted up my shirt to reveal the small baby bump.

"This is the difference." I said pointing at my stomach.

"You're upset because you've been eating too many burgers?" He asked. I sighed and turned on my side so it was more obvious. "Please tell me this is a prank."

"Why would I prank you about this Alex?" I said sadly pressing my hand to my stomach lightly.

"First I'm going to tell mum to come talk to you and then I'm going to go find this prick and smash him." He said pulling me into a hug.

"It's not his fault Alex. It's both of our faults. Plus I don't want him to know about this until I know about this." I said sitting back down on my bed. Alex left the room and returned with mum in tow. After an hour of chatter and a few arguments the room fell silent.

"What should I do mum?" I asked as I held my stomach.

"We are going to visit the hospital, get a scan or two and then plan it all out. But first comes first, do you want this baby?" She asked. I sat there staring at the photos on my wall and remembering the hospital today when I saw April and Dylan. I had started to cry, I was imagining him being a dad, he would be an amazing one.

"Yes." I said quietly as I looked back at my stomach.

"Remember, this isn't just some baby doll you can buy from a store and throw away when you don't want to play anymore. This is some serious shit, there is no turning back." She stated.

"I know."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

a\/n: hey guys, this is the first chapter im posting since im back from hiatus, ill try to make weekly updates, probably every monday...

tegan, pregnant, what do you think?