Chapter Three-President LBJ-(Part one)

"I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help - and God's", Lyndon B. Johnston told everyone once he held the Office of President.

He smiled, then he assumed the reigns after the Nixon Presidency faltered.

Sadly, he passed away in 1973...And never fulfilled his destiny.

***

The rest of the story is about Johnston's life, love, and attempting to move on from the Nixon/Watergate controversy...

...And, as America bled, he made sure progress was made.

***

LBJ was born in Stonewall, Texas.

His Father was Samuel Ealy Johnson, Jr., (October 11, 1877 in Buda, Texas – October 23, 1937); his Grandfather was Samuel Ealy Johnson, Sr., (November 12, 1838 in Alabama – February 25, 1915 in Stonewall, Texas); his Mother was Rebekah Baines.

Baines, and his brother, Samuel "Sam" Houston Johnson, (January 31, 1914 - December 11, 1978), authored "My Brother Lyndon", and was wasted one day as he did a Press Conference. The Secret Service were forced to do surveillance on him. He died aged 64, the same age as President LBJ, in 1973, five years' later.

Their sisters, Rebekah, (1910-68); Josefa, (1912-61); and Lucia, (1916-97), all lived in the farming house situated along the Pedernales River.

LBJ's Father's cousin, James Polk Johnson, (b?d?), was famous when  Johnson City, Texas, carried his name...to honor the family.

They headed to Oglethorpe County, Georgia, (to the West), and thrived.

***

LBJ's background was German, Ulster Scott, and English.

He graduated in 1924 from Johnson City High School; he majored in sports; public speaking; and debating.

His descendant was Baptist Minister, George Washington Baines, Sr., (December 29, 1809 – December 28, 1882).

**Washington had many Churches in Louisiana and Arkansas. He was the Baylor University Professor, (Independence; Washington County, Texas); Washington also was a natural history teacher for a short period**.

***

With the American Civil War, (1860-65), in his thoughts, LBJ attended Southwest Texas State Teachers' College, (1926), (now  Texas State University).

He edited "The College Star", (a school newspaper), ("The University Star"). To make money, he taught poor Mexican-American students at  Welhausen School, (Cotulla); **Cotulla is 90 miles away in San Antonio, (La Salle County)**.

By 1965, LBJ was quoted thus:

"I shall never forget the faces of the boys and the girls in that little Welhausen Mexican School...And I remember even yet the pain of realizing and knowing then...that college was closed to practically every one of those children because they were too poor...And I think it was then that I made up my mind that this nation could never rest while the door to knowledge remained closed to any American", unquote.

***

Page 4