Chapter Five-President LBJ-The Middle Years

Uncut quote: "I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it", unquote, President LBJ, (August 27, 1908-January 22, 1973)

I

The 1960's delivered a upset.

John F Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon.

And, as a result, Nixon's feud with the Irish-American politicians begun.

II

It is ambiguous to suggest why LBJ didn't go further in the sin decade. It is a puzzle. He decided to let the young President enter The White House with his glamorous wife, Jackie Kennedy, (and family), and, for a time, Camelot was alive...

...But, within three years, it came crashing down...in bloody violence, sex scandals, and the dark cloud of political distrust, seeped into everyone's mind.

***

III

The incredulous revolt of the 1960 election meant that LBJ had 409 votes. He was thwarted by Massachusetts Democrat Thomas Phillip "Tip" O'Neill, Jr., (December 9, 1912 – January 5, 1994); O'Neill didn't like the Texan.

The "Stop the Kennedy" campaign was vitriolic.

Johnson's team of 31st Democrat Governor of Illinois  Adlai Ewing Stevenson II, (/ˈædleɪ/; February 5, 1900 – July 14, 1965); Missouri Democrat Senator (William) Stuart Symington, Jr. (/ˈsaɪmɪŋtən/; June 26, 1901 – December 14, 1988); and Democrat Vice President Hubert Horatio Humphrey, Jr. (May 27, 1911 – January 13, 1978), were all left to rot in the wake of Kennedy's win.

The issue with Kennedy was he got on the ticket thanks to mobster Salvatore Giangana (June 15, 1908 – June 19, 1975), aka "Sam Giancana".

The mob was miffed when Bobby Kennedy, with the FBI's help, took down the mob in the late 1950's; Giancana decided to order JFK's assassination.

This wouldn't happen until Kennedy ordered "The Bay of Pigs" invasion of 1962, against Fidel Castro. The disaster was the catalyst for his early death.

IV

Johnson talked to Tip at the Massachusetts home. This is the terse exchange:

LBJ: "Tip...I know you have to support Kennedy at the start...but I'd like to have you with me on the second ballot".

Tip O'Neill:  "Senator...there's not going to be any second ballot".

And, after their brief conversation, LBJ's anger grew to outright hostility.

V

Because of the Kennedy paranoia issues, LBJ bided his time. He was working next to US Vice President Richard Nixon, and Massachusetts Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. (July 5, 1902 — February 27, 1985); Lodge was the Ambassador to Asia and other countries.

VI

July 14, 1960

Robert Kennedy spoke to LBJ at the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel at 10:15 pm. He gave him an ultimatum:

RFK to LBJ: "I want you to have the Vice-Presidential role".

LBJ to RFK: "Ok, yes".

And, as they departed for the night, RFK knew that the handshake would be broken. Robert Kennedy left with Kenneth Patrick "Kenny" O'Donnell, (March 4, 1924 – September 9, 1977), his Senior Advisor; and White House Press Secretary Pierre Emil George Salinger, (June 14, 1925 – October 16, 2004), and headed to their Hotel room for the rest of the evening.

***

Of course President Kennedy's assassination and his affair with Marilyn Monroe, (with Robert Kennedy), destroyed them in 1962.

The sex scandal and death of the actress was the defining moment in American politics. The "Happy birthday Mister President" controversy showed the excesses of married men in power. Ethel Skakel Kennedy was beside herself when the stories of bad behavior by the Kennedy's erupted into a volcanic ash of hellish tabloid trash that brought them down.

And down they went.

When Kennedy was killed, LBJ bided his time. So did Richard Nixon. They knew fate. And Nixon who was on a crusade to destroy the Kennedys was shocked by the brutal murder of the President. He prayed his respects...then made plans to get back into the White House.

Page 6