Chapter Seven-Epilogue

Quote: "The  Presidency has made every man who occupied it, no matter how small, bigger than he was; and no matter how big, not big enough for its demands", unquote, (August 27, 1908-January 22, 1973)

I

By 1964, the Harlem Riots was a stain on America 28 years' before "The LA riots", of 1992. It happened in the Watts District when 15 year old African-American student James Powell was shot and killed by Lieutenant Thomas Gilligan.

The date was: Thursday, July 16.

With Newark, New York, and other cities aflame, everyone saw the racial violence as a step down. Powell allegedly had had a knife and threatened the Lieutenant.

Whether he did or not, the so-called liberated 1960's showed that New York was getting more violent. And, by the 1970's, it was out of control.

***

II

With "The Great Society" LBJ decided to integrate all of America's great minds, and thinkers. He spoke lovingly about his vision at students.

Quote: "We are going to assemble the best thought and broadest knowledge from all over the world to find these answers...I intend to establish working groups to prepare a series of conferences and meetings; on the cities; on natural beauty; on the quality of education; and on other emerging challenges...From these studies...We will begin to set our course toward the Great Society", unquote. That was on May 7, 1964, (Athens University, Ohio; Ann Arbor, Michigan).

III

By the late 1960's, LBJ's increasing power to wield, forced him to increase US troops in the jungles of Asia to fight the Vietcong.

But, as the bodies piled up, America wasn't winning; America was losing.

In fact, after Vietnam, the US has lost every military conflict throughout the 1970's onwards.

***

IV

With the Tet Offensive, (January 1968), a failure, LBJ was on the razor's edge of defeat at the Polls. He told Walter Cronkite, quote, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America".

And, speaking to US Secretary of Defence, Robert Strange McNamara, (June 9, 1916 – July 6, 2009), about the fears of Vietnam, they were shocked when Robert Kennedy was assassinated. By 1969, Charles Manson, (see Book Three), and "The Family", all spilled blood in August of that year...and stained the whole of Hollywood forever.

***

V

The 1970's brought more agitation.

The Zodiac killer, (see Book Three), attacked a young Mom and child by the side of the road when she had had her car brake down; the terror of Vietnam continued; and Richard Nixon was now President of the United States after the 1968 US Election win.

LBJ was turfed out; Nixon was in.

***

VI

LBJ wanted Norman Rockefeller to win. When he didn't, the pressure got too much. By 1969, he smoked again.

And, during the early 1970's, (up to 1973-his death), he saw immense change.

The movie 'Dirty Harry', (1971), was about a serial killer who attacks New York. It was a statement on US society.

The urban cop against a maniac was a hit.

The Zodiac was on the big screen.

And, while LBJ's failure to prevent crime was something that he had to live with, he was even more disturbed by the Watergate break in on June 17, 1972.

And the corruption that plagued the Nixon Presidency...

...Just before LBJ passed away.

***

VII

POSTSCRIPT

Harry J. Middleton, Jr., (October 24, 1921-), a native of Centerville, Iowa, was famous as LBJ's speech writer and Aide, (1967-69); Middleton wrote LBJ's autobiography, "The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969"; (1971); and "The Choices We Face".

By 1971, The Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum, (near The University of Austin, Texas campus), opened; and The Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park.

LBJ was quoted about it, "(I want it to)...remain a working ranch and not become a sterile relic of the past".

By the time of the 1972 elections, Johnston's friend George McGovern was against him, since he supported Nixon's next term in office, with John Connally, (who was shot in the motorcade as it travelled with President JFK and wife Jackie on November 22, 1963), about a decade before.

By March 1970, LBJ was overweight. He had had angina. He was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center, (San Antonio, Texas).

And on April of 1972, LBJ was on a visit with Lynda who lived in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Suddenly he suffered a massive heart attack.

His last words were: "I'm hurting real bad".

And on January 22, 1973, LBJ died.

TO BE CONTINUED

Page 8