Chapter Three

"Eedlin, what's a Gallien?" I ask pointing to the mysterious word I found in my book.

She shook her head and chuckled. "First of all, it's not a what, it's a spell."

I giggle at myself. So far I have memorized over one hundred spells, and yet I can't even figure out what is what. I am not even half way through the book. Eedlin says that first I need to learn the basics, then I can move on to the harder stuff.

"Gallien  is what you use in order to make things disappear. But it's not as easy as it sounds. Here, let me demonstrate."

She gently picked up her wand, and in her smooth British accent she said Gallien. I watched as the vase she was focusing on disappeared.

"But Eedlin, I can't do these spells until you get me a wand." I said crossing my arms.

She stood in her spot for a moment and then nodded. "I guess it is about time we get you one, isn't it?" She smirked.

I started clapping my hands in excitement. I looked over to where the vase use to be.

"Are you gonna fix that?"

She looked over to the invisible vase. "Vamos!" She chanted.

"That's what you say to make things appear." she explained.

Then we were off to find me a wand.

As we walked into the wand shop, I noticed shelves and shelves of boxes. It was very unorganized. Some boxes were open, some closed. Other boxes were halfway out, and some pushed so far in that you could hardly see them. The place was a mess.

"Miss Eedlin!" the wand shop owner shouted in excitement.

She was a fairly-good looking old lady. She had puffy curls for hair and big, bulging glasses. But she kind of looked like a nut-job. After hugging Eedlin, she looked over to me.

"And who is this fine-young lady?" she motioned her head towards me.

Eedlin pointed her hand at me. "This is Elena."

The woman gasped. "Elena! What a pretty name! I have been dying to meet you!" she jumped up and down, her curls like a bunch of noodles being swung in the air.

She ran over to me, giving me a giant hug. She smelled of dust. She guided me towards the back of the shop and sat me down in a chair.

"Let me go fetch you some wands! You do know that the wand is drawn to you?" she asked.

I nodded. In my spell book it mentioned that every witch's wand is drawn to them. It stands out from the others. After trying a few tries, you will be guided to your wand.

The shop owner came back with almost a dozen wands. One by one, we went through them. Each and every one either threw me of course, or I broke something. "It's fine!"  She kept saying. After we finished, I heard a voice calling my name. The same one I heard when I was knocked out. I walked towards the voice and there on the shelves, was my wand.

"Have you found it?" I could hear the shop owner say faintly.

I could barely hear anything over the whispers of the wand. I pointed at the glowing lights that only I could see. She pulled out the wand and opened the case. It was a white oak color, with golden vines wrapped around its core. Before the handle is a light blue crystal, weld together with gold vines. The handle is mostly gold vines, with gold at the tip. It was perfect. My eyes watered at the sight of it.

"I can see you're attached to it already!" the woman told me. "A witch is so attached to her wand that even losing sight of it can make you feel like death."

I looked into her eyes. I believed her. Just looking away from it made me hurt.

Eedlin paid for my wand and then we left. For some reason, I started thinking about Mama and Papa.

"Eedlin, when will I get to see my parents again?" I asked her, still eyeing my wand.

"THEY'RE NOT YOUR PARENTS!" I jerked my head around.

Her frustration slowly died down. "Sorry, I don't know what has gotten into me."

My eyes were now off the wand. I tried to read her but I couldn't.

"Why can't I read what you're thinking?" I proclaimed. "You said only Black witch's couldn't read other Black witch's minds, so what does that make you?"

Her face turned red. "I-I'm not sure," she fumbled with her words.

I cringed my face. She wasn't telling me something.  "Tell me." I stated.

She played with her hair. I could tell she was searching for words.

"Family members cannot use their powers on each other," she said nervously.

Now I was searching for words. Is she my...?

"Who are you?" I finally came out.

She stopped in her tracks. Eedlin looked me straight in the eyes.

"Eedlin?" I got on to her.

"I'm your sister, Elena." she said.

In a faint whisper she repeated, "I'm your sister."

On the way home, it was silent. I figured now wasn't the time for questions, so I decided not to ask any. When we arrived, I went straight to my room. The elder assigned me one in The Palace because I had no where else to go. He told me that my parents were safe and that they were under a no-time spell, which meant that they were stopped in time. He actually taught me it. It was a little long but I remember it going like this:

Clocks are spinning,
Time is ticking.
Say one phrase,
Then it stays.

When it runs out,
It will start back up.
But do not pout,
They will soon catch up.

I always thought it was a little weird. I don't understand why some spells have to rhyme and others you say one word.

DING DONG! The sound of the dinner bell. I loved eating in The Palace. The food was unlimited. It's like they have an endless amount of food. They probably use magic. I saw Eedlin across the dinner room sitting alone. I sat down in front of her. All I heard was the crunching of my food and the murmurs of people talking.

"Eedlin. What kind of witch are you?" she did not reply.

As I picked up my water to take a sip, the water floated out of my cup. I let go, but the cup was still afloat. I looked over at Eedlin.

"You're a White witch?" I smiled. White witches were rare but not as rare as Black witches. Her face glowed. I was glad that she was happy again.

She swallowed. "I'm truly sorry about earlier. I am happy to answer any questions."

"Where are our parents?" I blurted out. I just had to know.

Her smile quickly faded. She set down the chicken wing she was biting out of. She sighed. "Father died a few years back in a battle against a Dragon." her eyes dropped from mine. "Mother, I'm not sure where she is. Probably dead for all I know."

I didn't feel sad. "Was he a good person?" I asked. "Father?"

She nodded. "He took care of me every day. Then when they had you, Mother and Father fought about whether they should give you up or not because you were very rare. I was only two at the time, so I don't really remember anything. To make it fair, they both sent us to foster homes, places they knew that we would be safe. I only met dad around five years ago."

I looked down at my plate of food. My whole life I thought my parents hated me, but they were really protecting me.

After we finished our food we chatted for a little bit longer.

"Last one to the library is a goblin!" Eedlin yelled.

And so we sprinted to the library.