Chapter Five

I was awoken by the whispers of curious voices. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Adam walk over to me. I felt his warm touch on my hands.

"Hey El," he said. No one had called me that name before. I liked it.

I smiled. The feeling of strength was still there, but not so over powering.

"How are you feeling?" he asked me. He squeezed my hand tight, as if he were scared.

"I've never felt better!" I replied sarcastically.

He laughed. His smile glowed. He rested my hand as the nurse walked in.

"Hello Elena!" she said approaching me. "It looks like you just had a short fever, and you passed out from stress."

I didn't feel sick. My head throbbed. Then, I remembered the necklace. I clutched my neck, where my necklace always is. I felt it's warm glow. I almost had a heart attack. I lifted it up to see, and it had a faint blue color. Every witch had some kind of jewelry; a ring, a bracelet, or a necklace. I could usually find it on people but it was hard to find on Adam. When he scratched his head, I noticed a silver ring around his finger with the same color glow I had.

What was so weird about Adam? He seemed so nice and charming, but there had to be more to it.

I turned to the nurse. "Can I maybe, get some food?"

She nodded and walked out the room. I turned back to Adam and I noticed he had a weird expression on his face. He was staring right at my necklace. He looked from me to my necklace, from me to my necklace.

"Excuse me, I'll be right back," he said, rushing from his chair to the door.

I was alone in the room. I could hear people chatting outside. I read their thoughts, and they all seemed to have been waiting for me.

"You guys can come in!" I shouted with all my might, which wasn't much.

Slowly, people started to pour in. It was almost the entire Palace. I saw the elder. He walked over to me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked sounding in despair.

"Great, actually!" I said a little too energetic. "I just need to rest for another hour or so."

He nodded. "Good seeing you Elena."

One by one, people came to see if I was okay. After what felt like five hours of eating and talking, I went to sleep, making sure it was clear. Adam still hadn't came back, I wonder if something happened to him? I needed to know he was okay. I asked the nurse if she could go get him, and she got someone. I was relieved when they found him.

"Hey El, sorry about that. I doubted you wanted to see me since you had all those visitors," he said looking at the ground.

"Of course not. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I fell into a deep sleep. Letting everything go. I finally got to rest.

When I woke, I noticed a note and flowers next to the bed. It was from Adam.

Dear Elena,
You probably will not see me for a couple days as I am going to be working. I enjoyed spending the half-breakfast we had together and seeing you wake up. Sorry that I wasn't there to see you again.
Adam

I felt my face get red with anger. I am not entirely sure why I was mad, but I was.

I sat up in the bed. I saw the nurse just outside my door talking to someone. I think it was a man, but I couldn't quite see his face. The nurse carried a letter over to me. I took it from her hand. It was blank.

I opened up the envelope. It seemed like an old piece of paper that had been wadded up thousands of times. It was written in ink, the type written with feathers. It was written in cursive, so sloppy I could hardly read it. It read:

Elena,
I know you do not know who I am, but I want you to know that I am watching over you. You have grown to be a fine woman, and I can't wait to meet you.
Meet me at 407 Magic Square at 8:00 pm. I will not harm you, and while I cannot tell you who I am, I want you to know, that I would like to become great friends with you.
Anonymous

I looked up from the letter and stared at the wall. As I was day dreaming, Eedlin barged in.

"Eedlin, I-I got this-"

"There is no time!" she shouted at me. "Get up, we have to leave."

I did what she said. I quickly threw on some clothes and followed her. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to leave, but this seemed important.

"What's happening?" I asked Eedlin as she dragged me out the door.

"Someone is here. I can feel their presence. I think it is a black witch. they left not too long ago, but they may come back."

My eyes were wide open. I hadn't realized I had stopped in my tracks until I heard my sister shouting my name.

"Come on! We have to go!"

She softly shoved me in the car and we were gone. Maybe I fainted because of the black witch, and it was because I felt them.

"Elena, this witch could either be the bad, or the good one," she said. "I couldn't risk losing you."

I stared at her. I didn't know she actually cared until now. I looked at my lap. The letter! I pulled the wadded up envelope out of my jacket pocket.

"Eedlin, I got a letter from an anonymous user."

She glanced at me. "Let me see it!"

She was shocked by the paper that sent us swerving off the road.

"EEDLIN!" I screamed.

We came to a stop. I smelt fire. I had hit my head on the window, leaving my head dripping with blood and the window cracked. Eedlin had her head on the car wheel, unconscious. I tried for the door but it wouldn't budge. I grabbed my wand and said a quick spell and the door flew far from reach.

"Eedlin, wake up!" I felt tears coming from my eyes. I kept trying to shake her to wake her up but she didn't even move. I tried my best to pick her up but I ended up dragging her across the ground.

I slowly dragged her away as the car got more and more hot. I heard her gasp for air and her eyes were now open.

"Eedlin!" I shouted running for her assistance.

She coughed a few times then said "It was warded," she spit up some blood. "Only a black witch can touch it."