XXXIV

It had been eight and a half years since the massacre in the Jedi academy, and a year and a half since the outposts had been put into commission.

General Organa called Poe into her private command room.

"I need you to go and check up on both bases, make sure they're okay, and ready to accept another group, of the same amount as last time."

"Are you sure you want to send more?"

"Poe, do you want to question my decisions?"

"No, General."

"Good.  You'll leave in the morning."

Poe nodded curtly and left.

Pát was waiting for him outside.  She reached for his hand and squeezed it.  "What did she want?"

He told her, walking so quickly towards the hill just outside of the base that she had to jog to keep up.

"What's so wrong?" Pát asked, turning him by the shoulder.  "It's only a three-day mission, at the most."

"Provided everything goes well," Poe replied.

"So what is so wrong?"

"I just...don't want to be there in case the First Order comes."

Pát looked at him for a moment, then laughed.  They resumed their walk, slower this time.

"What's so funny?" Poe asked as they walked up the hill.

"Shouldn't I be the one to be afraid?"

"What do you mean?"

Pát sat down on the hill and pulled Poe down with her.   "I was the one who was at the battle, I should be worried that they'll find you and kill you too."

Poe looked at her.   Even though she was smiling, tears specked her eyes.  She sniffed, rubbing her nose, then pulling her hand to cover any tears that might escape.

When she removed her hand, there was no trace of any sadness, hidden well by a mask.

Poe put his arm around her.  "I'm sorry, I've been insensitive."

"No, it's alright.  I understand."

They sat and watched the sun set over the base.  Poe turned to Pát.  "How are you and the stars?"

"What?"

"You know," he said, blushing, "You said you weren't on great terms with the stars."

"That was forever ago," she laughed, "I'm surprised you remember.  We're much better.   We've made up."

"Good."

Pát laughed.  "I love you."

Poe's brow furrowed.  "What?"

She looked up at him.  "Don't you feel the same?"

"I--I don't know."

Poe took his arm from around her.

"You act like you do, Poe.  Do you?"

He stood, flustered.  "You know, maybe it is a good thing I'm going on that trip.  I can think about it."

Pát got to her feet.  "It shouldn't be something you have to contemplate, Poe!  Do you love me?  Or do you not?"

"I don't know!  I don't think I even know what this kind of love is."

"What is love to you?"

"I've only ever loved my mother, and my friends, but that certainly can't be the same."  Poe ran a hand nervously through his hair.  "I'm sorry, Pát.  I don't not like you."

"But you don't love me."

"I said I don't know.  I don't know what that kind of love feels like.  Just...give me the three days I'll be gone, to sort it out, okay?"

Pát glared at him.  "Okay.  Have a good trip, Poe.  May the Force be with you."

"And with you.  Aren't you going to see me off in the morning?" Poe asked as she walked by.

"I believe I'll be engaged with something else."

He watched her retreating back and sighed. Then he went to bed.

True to her biting word, Pát wasn't there to see him off.

He flew to Dantooine in silence.

When he arrived, half of the pilots were gone on patrol, and most of the ground troops were off somewhere else.

He wandered down the almost empty halls, into the barracks area. They had four to a room, and would probably need more space if they agreed to take in more pilots and ground troops. The captain of their ground crew, who went by his last name alone, called out his name. "Poe Dameron!"

"Ah, Green. How are you?"

"Good, good, what are you doing here?"

The dark haired man's suspicious grey eyes flitted here and there, never staying on one thing for longer than a few seconds. This was why he'd become such a high-ranking officer, his ability to take in more information than usual in less time.

"General Organa would like to send more troops."

"How many?"

"Double what you have now, assuming you haven't lost any. But I don't think you'll have enough space here."

"Oh, we do, follow me."

Green opened a door Poe had never seen in his many years living on the base. It led to another hall of barracks. "We use this as the women's barracks."

"Well, I guess you're set then. How has everything been running?"

"If you're saying I'm not good at running the base--"

"I'm not," Poe said quickly. "I'm required to ask that."

Green didn't relax much. "It's been running smoothly."

"Well, then I don't have any more business here. Thank you, Green."

"Give my regards to the General," Green called as Poe left down the hallway.

"I won't be seeing her for a few days, but I'll give them to her regardless," Poe said, chuckling softly at his play on words.

He climbed back into his X-Wing and flipped a lever. "Well, BB-8? Ready to see Afren again?"

BB-8 whistled as they lifted off.