Oh, What a Guy, That Jaques

The tavern was aglow with candlelight as the sun dipped on the horizon

The tavern was aglow with candlelight as the sun dipped on the horizon. The orange dusty sky grew darker with the oncoming presence of night, and all the men of the small village were off work. They came by the tens to the tavern to drink away their hardship of the day and talk of merry times in the coming future.

Hugo danced about the tavern singing a tune with the others as the band concluded a song and quickly began another. Hugo gulped his alcoholic beverage and sauntered on his short frame over to Jacques, who sat glumly, legs swung over the edge of his chair. The chair was two times Jaques' height and draped in many animal hides, Jaques's many prized possessions. He kept his hunting wins in the tavern so all could see what he'd done.

"The band is playing well tonight aren't they Jaques?" Hugo smiled outstretching the beer to his partner. Jaques rolled his eyes and stood to grab a rifle from the wall, completely rejecting the beverage offered to him.

Hugo cocked a brow and set the glass down on a table and came around Jaques, looking up his towering figure. "What's got you down!? This should be merry times."

Jaques raised the rifle closing an eye and peering through the viewfinder. He aimed at something through the window of the tavern but it was soon engulfed in the blossoming darkness. He shook his head.

"It just doesn't make much sense."

"What doesn't sir?"

"Louis sets off for some trip and doesn't return. His sister comes back in hysteria and hasn't said a word on the whereabouts-" he paused glancing back at Hugo. "Has the Philippines said anything yet?"

"Phoebe" Hugo corrected.

"Gesundheit." Said, Jaques, as he aimed the rifle again.

Hugo shook his head and sat down at one of the tables. "Not really. I overheard her mother yesterday saying the girl is traumatized or something. Although the only thing the girl dared to breath was something along the lines of kidnapping or hostage, or something or other..." Hugo gulped his beer as Jaques lowered the gun considering Hugo's words.

"So there's someone in the Forrest?" Jaques wondered aloud while he ran his fingers over and over the barrel of the rifle examining the glossy wood finish.

"Or something." Added Hugo.

There was a pause, the joyous shouts, and chatter circulating the tavern overcoming their silence. Jaques set down the weapon, posing with his hands on his hips. He rubbed at his strong chin and waved his hand at Hugo.

"So let me get this straight. Phobo and Louis went into the Forrest and someone or something got them?"

"That's the latest news, sir."