When the Wolves Come Out

Louis sighed leaning against one of the battered tables

Louis sighed leaning against one of the battered tables. The little presence of light mixed with the soft red glow of the rose and created beautiful purple darkness that draped Louis like a cape. He starred off at the large French doors at the end of the room that led out to a balcony. The snow was coming down hard outside.

"And I can't approach him. I think he's better one second and the next he's yelling in my face. I just don't know what to do anymore..." his voice trailed off as he met his gaze with Zayn's. "I mean I can't just avoid him the whole time I'm here..."

"You can. The castle is big enough." Uttered Zayn and Louis chuckled at the remark.

Zayn watched Louis carefully considering what Louis had said about the incident in the hall just moments ago.

"Louis, can I ask you a question?"

Louis looked up nodding lightly.

"Like a serious question."

"What is it Zayn ?" Louis pressed.

"Why do you stay?"

Louis didn't reply. He blinked silently. "Hm?"

"Why. Why do you stay? The king is horrible and cruel you know that. You could just walk out of here at any time and just go home so why? Why do you stay and put up with him!?"

Louis turned away glancing at the tattered portrait of the king across the hall. He ran his fingers through his hair closing his eyes.

"I- I don't really know." He said opening his eyes, and carefully planning his answer. "You're right. I could leave and I want to so badly sometimes, like today ! Part of me wants to say fuck the promise but then another part no, you're protecting your sister. What if I left and he got so mad that he came after me and hurt my family? I could never live with myself if they got hurt."

Louis shook his head. "But that doesn't mean I have to like him. Even if I do decide to stay!"

Zayn frowned. He couldn't tell Louis the truth.
"Louis?"

Louis looked up though Zayn never said anything. The two shared an exchange of glancing out the windows the bright spring filled morning had turned dark and desolate what with the blizzard raging outside. It gave the castle an ever more dreary feel and sent chills running down Louis' spine.

It was then that Louis' gaze came to fall upon the rose just as a petal drifted to its tabletop. "Did you see that !?" Louis exclaimed racing to the case and sticking his fingers on it like a child.

"No." Said Zayn.

"A petal fell!"

Zayn shrugged. "It happens all the time. I told you this already, it's our timer."

"I know that." Louis scoffed standing up and looking down upon the flower. "There has to be a way to reverse it..."

"What?" Uttered Zayn.