Tale as Old as Time

January thirty-first

Jacques was growing impatient. He had waited the amount of time he wanted and was ready to cruise in and rescue Louis at a moment's notice, but there was a problem. Any excitement the town had shared regarding Louis's disappearance had died down. People still knew he was gone, but it wasn't the same as when the news first broke. For Jacques, this was terrible. If he was to be the hero who would be there to witness it? Who would give him the credit?

"Here's your beer sir." Hugo chirped.

Jacques rolled his eyes. Hugo would. But what good would that be? It wasn't like Hugo's opinion was really all that valid.

Hugo eyed Jacques who had a vacant expression drawn across his face. "Jacques, what's wrong?"

Jacques sighed. "Everything Hugo. Everything. I'm bored, I need excitement. I want to save Louis but I can't without an audience. No one would even notice if I was gone."

"Nonsense." Said Hugo. "People still care about you."

"That's not the problem. I have done so much to make myself the best in the town at this point they've practically seen it all. Who would even care if I rescued the man and brought him back?"

"His family." Said Hugo.

Jacques nodded. He did have a point. Perhaps if he could impress Louis's family then maybe they would have a better understanding of his want to marry Louis...

Just then a young woman burst through the tavern door, her hair disheveled and her mind a mess.

"Doctor! I need the doctor where is he?" She yelled.

A few men pointed in the doctor's direction and off she went.

Jacques and Hugo exchanged glances and stood mosying over to the bar in hopes of getting within earshot of hearing the woman's plight. 

"What's wrong girl?" The doctor mumbled.

"Sir my name is Charlotte Tomlinson. It's my sister Pheobe again she's having some sort of panic attack, I don't know what it is but she needs help. Will you come with me?"

The doctor nodded and stood to grab his bag, following her to the door. 

Jacques shot Hugo an amused glance. "So that's one of the Tomlinson girls huh?"

Hugo nodded. "That's Charlotte, the eldest sister."

Jacques stared out the window watching Charlotte leave, the cogs in his mind were turning again. "Hugo, let's go. Besides, I need to speak with this family anyway."

Hugo downed his beer before hurrying after Jacques as the two left the tavern and silently followed Charlotte and the doctor back to the Tomlinson residence.

Outside, the air was crisp and cool. The snow had finally melted and the birds had come out to play. As the sun began it's decent beyond the horizon it cast the town in a dull amber glow making it look like it had lept off the artist's canvas.  As Jacques and Hugo trekked up the path at a safe following distance the sky began to change. The sky turned a deep purple and storm clouds strolled in making Hugo walk quicker besides his partner.