Chapter 5: Burn, Witch. Burn!

Melanie could hear Stevie Nicks singing Landslide as she approached Misty's cabin. She must have returned just in time for dinner, because Misty was already setting the table with plates of salad and noodles mixed with vegetables. Melanie wondered how she had managed to get her hands on pasta in the middle of a swamp. She decided Misty must have taken a bus into town like she planned to do later.

Misty smiled when she saw her standing in the doorway. "Oh, good. I was about to go look for you." Kyle, who had been sitting on the floor near the radio, immediately perked upon realizing that she had returned.

"Sorry. I had to make a call, so it took longer than expected," Melanie said. "I hate to ask, but would you mind if I slept on your couch tonight? It's later and darker than I thought it would be." And she really didn't want to be trekking through the swamp at night all by herself. The last thing she needed was to get lost or fall in some pit or get bitten by a poisonous snake.

"Of course you can!" Misty said, thrilled that she wanted to stay longer. "It'll be just like a sleepover."

"Thanks," Melanie said. She sent a quick text to Cordelia to let her know that she wouldn't be back until the next morning.

Nan struck a match and lit another candle for the small memorial altar that she had set up for Madison. The Council had retired to their hotel rooms for the evening, and Fiona and Cordelia had gone out. So it was just the three remaining students, the butler, and the maid left in the house.

"You're being morbid," Zoe told her. "Madison's not dead."

"Then why can't I hear her?" Nan asked.

"Maybe she found a way to keep you out of her head. I know I've been trying," Queenie said, lying on one of the beds in the room with a cup of another one of Cordelia's magic smoothies in her hand.

"No. She passed," Nan insisted.

"We should be out looking for her," Zoe said. She didn't want to make the same mistake she made with Melanie. She nearly died, and all because she had been too scared to stick around when her friend needed her.

"Fiona told us to stay inside," Queenie reminded her.

Advice Fiona herself had ignored in order to take her daughter out for some drinks. "Enough rosé. Let's get you a proper drink," Fiona told Cordelia. "Bartender, bring this lady a Maker's neat."

"You'll make a bad girl of me yet," Cordelia said as her new drink was poured and served.

"Well, Christ knows, somebody's got to, darling," Fiona said. Cordelia laughed and picked up her drink. "Here, cheers." The two witches tapped their glasses together before taking a drink.

"Hmm. Ooh," Cordelia said, setting her glass back down on the bar. She felt the effects of the strong whiskey immediately. It burned her throat on the way down and made her insides tingle and feel warm. "Okay..."

"What?" Fiona asked.

"Let's play a game," Cordelia suggested. Fiona laughed. "We each ask each other three questions, and we swear to answer them honestly."

"Is your seatbelt fastened?" Fiona asked.

Cordelia smiled. "Nice and tight." Fiona gestured for her to start. "Why do you hate Hank? Are you attracted to him?"

"Ugh! Jesus," Fiona said, grimacing. She set her drink down and turned back to her daughter. "Because, Delia, he reeks of bullshit. And I don't understand how you cannot see that."

Cordelia took another swig of her drink. "Number two. And no lying. Did you kill Madison?"

"No. I did not kill Madison," Fiona said, lying through her teeth so convincingly that it looked and sounded like the truth. "My turn. Who do you believe is the next Supreme?"