Bridge

nine; bridge

****

"Dr. Brant?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Yes, sir."

"It's about your patient, Delilah Carmichael. Does her name ring a bell?"

"Yes, I see her weekly."

"Her mother called this afternoon."

"And?"

"According to Mrs. Carmichael, Delilah took your advice about that boy."

"Daniel?"

"Yes, I presume."

"I was told that Delilah called him late last night, and asked if they could talk about their relationship, as you suggested. So he agreed and told her that he would meet her at her house."

"That's great. I hope they were able to work things out."

"Only, when he was driving, he lost control of the car and skidded on a section of black ice. It ended up colliding with another car. His vehicle was totaled."

"Oh, my..."

"He died instantly."

"You're kidding."

"No. Delilah found out within minutes."

"My, she must be devastated."

"She was ludicrous. Do you know how much he loved her?"

"What? He was the one that cheated on her."

"As the tale goes, the other young woman that he was seeing forced herself onto Daniel. And when Delilah found out, he couldn't stop her from running away. This girl's father owns a prestigious university in New York, or some other absurdly wealthy place- and it was his dream to get in, so he stuck with her."

"That was why?"

"Finally, the girl decided that Daniel wasn't worth her time, and called the relationship quits. Naturally, he had loved Delilah and wanted to make things right. On his way over, he bought her a dozen red roses. He had a ring."

"As in, an engagement ring?"

"Yes. It's unknown if he was going to ask for her hand in marriage, or if he was simply contemplating, but it was found in the passenger seat."

"Oh, my God. I need to call Delilah."

"You can't."

"What do you mean?"

"She was devastated. She couldn't bear with the loss; it crushed her."

"Don't tell me..."

"Do you know the bridge above the rapids of Lake Erie? It's about thirty feet up. Enough to kill a person, if they so happened to slip down..."

"Sir, please don't tell me- she was so special. I got to know her. She was beautifully broken. I knew she could get out of this hole she was in. It was all a misunderstanding, between those two."

"It's a tragedy, really."

"Sir, about that bridge?"

"Delilah jumped."

****

this has officially been the end of the story - i know it was a terrible ending but sometimes you appreciate it more when you lose everything in the end.

btw, if you didn't get it- the therapist who formerly had been speaking to delilah, the m.c. (dr. brant is the therapist), found out from her boss about what happened; hope it clears things up.

this was my first completed story (even though it was dialogue-only and rather short) and i thank everyone for their never-ending support.

look forward to more soon! x