Chapter 2 Saying Goodbye

Monday morning comes in a blink of an eye. It's been two days since my father died. My mother hasn't spoken to me since. I get up and get ready for school. Feeling empty and forgotten. I look in the mirror telling myself "This isn't happening, it's just a bad dream I can't wake up from." "Adeline!" My mother yelled. She sounded different, different than before. "Yea mom." I yelled back "Don't yell at me young lady you're grounded!" She yelled. I ran downstairs and I saw a glass of wine on the table, empty. "Mom are you drunk?" I asked with a worried look on my face. "No, I'm just drinking my pain away." She said with a wasted voice. "Come on mom I'm putting you to bed," I said disgustingly. 

I stayed home that evening taking care of my mother. It was the same every day of that week. My mother getting drunk and I would have to take care of her. It was like this for a few weeks, then came the day of my fathers funeral. 

It's Sunday morning of my father's funeral. I get ready even when I don't want to. I go to my mother's room and wake her up. "Mom wake up it's time to go," I said tiredly. I saw a glass of wine on her desktop. "Ugh," I said with disappointment. I hear a knock on the door. I run downstairs, "David?" I asked confusingly. 

"Yes, Good Morning Adeline, are you and your mother ready to go?" He asked quickly. "No, but I am," I said. "Well come on then we must get going," He said even faster. "What about my mom?" I asked with a worried look. "Don't worry I'll take care of her. Now run along and go to the funeral home, your grandmother is waiting for you. It's just a few blocks down from your school. " He said with confidence. "Ok," I said. I headed out the door and walked as fast as I could. As I walked out I saw men dressed in black and white and woman with lovely dresses. I even saw Mr. John leaving, "Hello Mr. John." I said. "Well hello Adeline, I'm so sorry for your loss." He said sadly. "Thank you," I said sadly. As I arrived at the funeral, I saw my father laying there in the casket in front of everyone. My grandmother was sitting in the third row next to my Aunt Grace. Everyone in the whole town showed, even Jerry from uptown. I started walking up to the third row I had tears filled with sadness running down my face. I thought to myself this is happening, this is not a dream, I didn't want to believe it at first. It was all happening too fast and then something crazy happened. The boy! That's the boy I helped that Saturday morning! There he was sitting in the front row next to one of the woman.

I didn't know what to do but stare at him. I go to the third row and sit right next to my grandmother. My grandmother gently kisses my forehead with tears running down her face. Everyone's quit and a pastor goes in front of my father's casket he says, "Lets Pray." Everyone bows their head, all I here is sobbing while I bow my head. BOOM! the double doors slammed opened. Everyone looks back, "MOM!." I screamed. David looks at me with a despicable look. I got up and ran to my mother helping her walk to where I was sitting. The boy looked at me, he looked so pale and empty. Before I knew it the funeral was over, David took mother and left before I knew it. I was there left with my grandmother. I go up to my father's casket "Bye Pumpkin." I said trying not to sob. I'll remember those words the last words my father said to me.

The boy came up to me, "I never really got to say thank you for what you did." he said quietly. I walked away and I looked back and said, " Your welcome." with a small smile.