Chapter 5 The Right Path

SLAP! I fell off the chair and onto the ground. I lied there with fear and tears in my eyes. My mother screaming and yelling at David for hitting me. SLAP! My mother hits the ground. We both lied there looking up at David. "You will not disobey me. Understood," He said with anger. My mother and I both nod at the same time yes. I looked at my mother filled with fear. She didn't say anything but stare at me back. This is an everyday thing now. We have to get used to obeying his rules and his rules only. I've never been so scared in my life till now. "It's going to be ok Adeline." The first words I heard out of my mother in a long time. I looked at her and nodded yes, I didn't want to say or do anything but lay there on the cold hard floor. 

My mother got up slowly before me. She helped me up right away. I hugged her and said "I love you mom." with sadness. She looked down and stared at me, she hasn't heard those words in a long time. She hugged back without saying anything. "Everythings going to be ok, I promise." She said quietly. "Knock Knock" My mother and I looked at the door. David answered the door quickly. "Both of you go upstairs now!" David yelled quietly. We both headed upstairs as quick as possible. "Hello, new neighbor." the nice lady said. I stopped half way up the stairs to see who it was. "Hello," David said. The nice lady had a casserole in her hands for us to eat. "We heard we had new neighbors  so I made my special casserole.

"The nice lady said with a smile. She handed it to David and saw me on the stairs. "That's a cute little girl you got," she said. David turned around and saw me. I got up and ran the rest of the way up. "Thank you ma'ma have a nice day," David said. David slammed the door and yelled my name. "Adeline!" He yelled. I went downstairs knowing what would happen to me. "I'm sorry," I said scaredly. SLAP! "Don't ever embarrass me in front of guest again!" David yelled. I had a red mark on my face from him hitting me so hard. I tried not to cry but I couldn't help it I was so overwhelmed. "I'm sorry I won't do it again," I said with tears running down my face. "David! Leave her alone!" 

My mother screamed. "Stay out of this woman!" David screamed back. My mother looked at me and nodded. I just stood there remembering what she said to me, "Everything will be ok." I looked at David with a straight face wiping my tears. "Go upstairs and get ready for dinner," David said calmly. I went upstairs nice and calm with anger build up inside me. "Woman get down here and cook!" David screamed. My mother didn't listen and stayed in her room. "Let's go! NOW! David screamed. Still no sign of her. He went upstairs stomping with anger. He went into my mother's room and saw her standing there. "GO AWAY! LEAVE ME ALONE!" My mother screamed with fear. SLAP! "I said to get downstairs and cook dinner!" David screamed even louder. I clinched up my fist and closed my eyes. I heard them screaming and screaming at each other. Till then she finally listened. I opened my door just a little bit where I could see what was happening. David had my mother in his tight fist. He throws her down the stairs, "Now cook!" David screams. 

My mother gets up with pain and heads towards the kitchen. David stood right there in front of my door not knowing I was watching. My mother came back upstairs but I couldn't tell what she had in her hand. "I hate you!" She screamed. I saw David fall onto the floor with blood everywhere. I looked at her frightened not knowing what to do. I saw anger n her eyes, like never before. I saw a knife in her hand filled with blood. I backed away from the door filled with fear. The door was still opened where I could still see. I look out and saw my mother drag David across the floor. I looked at David with anger and happiness at the same time. I felt so evil being happy that David is finally dead. "What about my mother? "What is she going to do now?" I thought to myself. I gathered my things as fast as I could. I made sure the blood was cleaned before I left to make it look like nothing ever happened. It's the least I can do for my mother before I leave. I head downstairs and right before I left I said: "Goodbye again."