#MemoriesWithDad: May 4th 2015

May 4th 2015, seven days earlier.

Day 1 Hospitalized

It was early morning. Dad woke mom up because he said he needed to go to the emergency room immediately. He couldn't breathe. We had the oxygen tube but Dad preferred to go to the ER. So Mom woke up and they were rushing to go to the ER. My dad's sister and her husband came to visit that weekend so they went to the ER with mom while us, me and sister, stayed at home. My brother was out of town. It happened a lot since my dad got his first heart attack. He saddened get hardly breathe in the middle of the night and everyone got to rush to the ER. I never went with them because I had to go to school in the morning. And Dad never let me to be absence from school because of him. I was awake and heard the gate was opened, and I prayed "Hope my dad will be okay and will go home soon".

In that morning, I woke up and went to school with my sister. When I was on class, I felt my phone vibrated and I checked it. It was Mom texted me saying Dad had to be hospitalized because of his very low condition and it was impossible for him to go home. I sighed. I texted her back, "Okay Mom. Please tell him I'll be there after school". After classes over, I went to the hospital on foot. It's not so far, though. When I arrived in his room, he was sleeping. So I decided to clean myself up then sat next to his bed. I grabbed his right arm and whispered, "Dad I'm here" and somehow he opened his eyes and said, "Hi, Princess. How was school?" while he held my arm tight and kissed it. I just answered, "Nothing much. Just like the other day." and he smiled. We spent that day just watched TV until he fell asleep, we both fell asleep. I awoke because my uncle and aunt went in so it was no way I slept while there was someone else. Dad actually didn't want to be hospitalized. He made a promise to have dinner with us which we thought he didn't make any promises to us. He asked, or more like forced the doctor to let him go out for dinner that night and went back to the hospital after dinner. But of course the doctor said no because my dad's condition was lack and doctor didn't want to take risks by letting him go. Dad was disappointed, very. So we decided to buy some foods and had dinner in the hospital's room.

I still tried to talk to him that night. I knew he would listen to my stories but I thought he was tired to talk, based on his breath so I'd better just be quiet. It was almost 9 pm and I had to go home. Besides, I had homework to do so I told him I had to go home and I would see him the next day. I kissed his forehead and said goodbye.

-Putri Anindya Shavitri-