Chapter Nine

All rights reserved © Ellimay

By the time Mr. Quynn reached the two of them, Aria felt strong enough to stand. But when she tried, both the vampire and her teacher stopped her.

"Don't try to stand just yet," Mr. Quynn advised.

"I feel fine," Aria argued, pushing Dante's hand off her shoulder and standing up.

As soon as she did though, her head spun like crazy and she almost collapsed to the ground again. In an instant, strong arms were supporting her, though they were from neither Dante nor her teacher. Instead, she felt the familiar pure soul of the only Angel she seemed to get along with supporting her from behind.

"Where did you come from?" She asked, trying to sound stronger than she was feeling.

"Right now that doesn't matter," Raziel sighed, easing her down to the floor once again. "Are you insane, pulling a stunt like that on so many living souls? It's a miracle that you're even conscious,"

"I'm fine!" Aria snapped, though she immediately felt terrible. "Besides, weren't you the one who said I could calm even the restless of souls?"

"Father above..." Raziel cursed. "I didn't mean an entire school of living souls Aria; you should know that. Even your father would have collapsed!" 

Please, just rest. Vixen pleaded before Aria could retort, jumping onto her lap and nuzzling against her neck.

"Alright," she replied out loud with a sigh, resting her head back against the wall.

"You just used a Devil's enchantment didn't you?" Mr. Quynn asked curiously.

Aria nodded in reply.

"Amazing," he murmured. "Raziel is right, it's remarkable that you're conscious right now,"

"Likely thanks to her familiar," Dante said, rubbing the fox's ear gently. "They are truly amazing creatures,"

"Speaking of familiars," Mr. Quynn quipped, "Where are yours?"

"Helping calm down some students," Raziel replied, Dante nodding in agreement.

"I see," their teacher murmured.

"Sir," Aria piped up, causing everyone to look at her. "Why did you really come over here?"

Raziel and Dante looked confused, glancing back and forth between Aria and their Advanced Magic teacher.

"My, what ever do you mean?" he asked.

"Don't lie, sir," Aria sighed, looking down at Vixen. "Foxes know when someone is hiding something,"

"Ah, I've been caught," he shrugged. "But this is not a conversation to have here,"

"What are you talking about?" Raziel asked, still seeming confused. "What's going on?"

"Just like the other teachers, I've been assigned a task," he briefly explained. "But we'll talk more later on this. Until then, Aria you should rest and build your strength, and you two should gather the rest of the advanced students,"

At first, neither Dante nor Raziel moved. Both of them were still unsure about what was happening, but their curiosity got the better of them. The two left and entered the dense crowd of students, followed shortly after by Mr. Quynn.

Aria remained seated on the ground at the back of the hall with Vixen, waiting for everyone to return. Slowly but surely she was regaining her strength, and bit by bit her mind began to wonder.