Chapter Eleven

All rights reserved © Ellimay

"This makes absolutely no sense," Briella huffed in frustration. "They are clearly alive, but how can that be possible without a soul?"

"You're right," Aria groaned, rubbing her temples to aid the headache forming as she leaned against a tree. "I've never heard of something like this before,"

"Not to mention those weird magic circle... stars," Briella sighed.

"Nothing makes sense in this situation," Aria agreed. "I knew something weird was happening. They haven't moved at all either; we haven't had a need to hide yet. What do you think Mr. Quynn?"

Briella and Aria looked towards their teacher who had not spoken a word in some time now. Instead, he was watching the four soul-less people in deep thought.

"Sir?" Aria asked again, finally catching his attention.

"I have a theory, but it will sound bizarre," he murmured. "Girls, have you ever heard of possession?"

"It's a form of controlling magic, isn't it?" Briella replied.

"Kind of," Mr. Quynn nodded.

"I heard it was an ancient magic that has been lost to all species for millennia," Aria added.

"Again, that is true," he replied. "But at the same time, both are false,"

"Explain," Aria said.

"Well," he began. "Originally, possession was a very rare and unstable ability. From what I have heard, it was a dark spell that allowed a person's soul to leave it's host and latch onto another and therefore take it over, ultimately controlling it. Because the entire soul transferred into another living body, that original soul's powers would also leave the body with the soul, and therefore the one possessing the other could still use their original powers.

Unfortunately, this spell was terribly dangerous. For it to work, the person they wish to possess must be weaker in mind, magic and soul as a battle takes place between the two souls for control of the body. If the one possessing someone is weaker in any one of these areas, they are likely to lose the battle of control, and their soul would never be able to escape, thus leaving their original body to slowly crumble to death,"

"That's horrible," Briella exclaimed. "What kind of magic is this?"

"It must be a Demon magic," Sophia piped up, shocking everyone a little. "They are the only other species that have lived here as long as Devils and Angels. It is possible they have kept this kind of thing secret,"

"But aren't they bound by our laws to not hide magic like this?" Briella argued. "Why would they lie?"

"Would you want people to know you were taking over people's souls?" Aria snipped back. "They've been untrustworthy before; that is why Beelzebub is not a part of the Leaders,"

"Aria is correct," Sophia agreed. "It is likely that the magic they are using to attack the school is also one they never told anyone about,"

"Yes, precisely," Mr. Quynn nodded. "But we shouldn't worry about this now. We need to stop this magic,"

"But how?" Aria asked, starting to deeply think about the situation. "Those stars look like they are there for a reason; and since possession is meant to be a spell, they don't need something similar to a magic circle. It has to be for something else,"

"Perhaps it's something to protect the bodies from harm?" Briella asked. "A body can't move without a soul, so that must be what the stars are for,"