Chapter 15

Date: May 21st 1887

I was looking for the princess because I left her for a moment because the king asked for me. She wasn't in her chamber and I went down to the garden to look for her. Her back was facing me and I noticed she had a book in between her hands. Maybe she was reading a novel.

I cleared my throat and she turned around

I cleared my throat and she turned around. "Minhyun what are you doing here?" She asked smiling widely. "What kind of question is that?" I asked her. She giggled not saying anything then made her way towards the oak tree that was only a few feet away.

She sat down under the oak tree and I stood by her side. "Why don't you sit down here?" She asked as she patted on the dirt beside her gesturing for me to sit down. "We can't be seen. I can't sit next to you, if someone sees us they'll misunderstand." I told her looking straight into her eyes.

"But when we study you sit next to me even when we eat, you always sit next to me how come now you're scared of people misunderstanding us when what they'll think of is true?" She looked disappointed.

"It's because I don't want you to get in trouble." I answered honestly. She sighed heavily and didn't utter a word. She placed the book she was reading on her lap and continued reading for hours until she finished the book. I kept walking around the area or stood up beside her not leaving her side.

The darkness filled the sky and we were still outside. The stars were sparkling brightly and the moon looked beautiful that night, it was very clear and felt like the moon was very big and close. Spring was coming to an end but the weather was still beautiful as the spring breeze touched our skins lightly.

I took off my jacket and placed it over her shoulders making her look up at me. "How about we go inside?" I asked her. I extended my hand out for her and she took it then I helped her up.

"I think everyone went to sleep." I said as I took out my pocket watch out to see that it was 10:12 p.m. "I would like to drink tea." She said out of the blue. "Alright would you like to go to your chamber and I'll bring it to you?" I asked her. She shook her head and said "I want to go to the kitchen with you."

We went from the back door which was in the kitchen. She pulled out a stool and sat on it as I made my way towards the stove to place the teapot filled with water over it. I turned around to place the cups on the tray to see her staring at me as she had her elbows placed on the marble counter as she had her palms on her cheeks. "What are you looking at?" I asked smiling. She giggled and didn't utter a word.

After I finished making the tea I poured her a cup and placed it in front of her then I carried mine and walked behind the counter towards her. I pulled myself a stool beside her and sat next to her as I placed my cup in front of me on the counter. We stayed quiet for a while and just drinking our tea then I broke the silence by saying "The ball is in a few days." She sighed heavily and placed her cup back on the counter. "Princess I know that-" She cut me off mid sentence by saying "I told you not to call me princess."

"Pardon me love. I know that you're not excited about the ball not even a bit but just know that it's just one day and it'll be over before you know it." I tried comforting her. I pushed the strain of hair that was on her face off and tucked it behind her ear to be able to see her beautiful face. I began stroking her hair softly and gently. A smile formed on her lips and I too smiled back at her. "If you'll be there for sure, I'll be very happy." She said smiling beautifully at me.

I stood up and decreased the space between us. I placed a small kiss on her forehead and backed away. I could see that she was flustered by my actions, her cheeks became rosy which I thought was cute. I placed the two of my palms on both her cheeks causing her to look straight into my eyes and I said genuinely "I'll always be by your side I promise you."

"Do you think that my parents will let us be together?" She asked me still looking into me eyes. Her eyes were sparkling and I could see from the look of her eyes she was still a child, she didn't know what a huge responsibility she had waiting for her when she was going to become queen. I couldn't tell her the truth, I couldn't bare to see her break because in my eyes I saw her as fragile as a piece of glass. "Love, I'll find a way to convince them. I'm sure they won't go against us." I said still having my palms on her cheeks looking deep into her beautiful eyes. I knew I was lying and it was impossible for me to convince the king and queen. Even though I came from a prestigious and wealthy family I still didn't rule a country so I wasn't good enough and their opinion or anyone's opinion but I was good enough in Edlyn's opinion which was more than enough for me.

She smiled very widely and said "I'll be alright if you're with me." Those words broke me because I knew that I couldn't be by her side that long.