M E M O R I E S

The Hebi, huh? Why did I agree to this again?

I let out a sigh, my breath visible in the moonlight as I watched my feet carry me along the dirt path down the stony mountain range. We'd been walking only for a short while. I was bringing up the rear, scanning for any threats approaching from behind us with the rest of team Hebi in front of me. We were currently heading down to Iwagakure to restock on more supplies before Sasuke planned to divulge where our next destination would be, and I couldn't help but find myself having doubts.

I hadn't been around people much over the last year or so, and I was starting to feel slightly uncomfortable every time Suigetsu or Jugo (we had a brief introduction before setting the prisoners free) would take a glance back at me. I shook my head to try and disperse the unsettling feeling. All of this was happening so fast.

Iwagakure.

The Hidden Stone Village was my home before the world I knew with Orochimaru, or so I was told. Honestly, I was so young when I ran away, I barely had any memory of my family or my life before being taken in by the snake. He taught me all about my heritage as a Yuna and how I was smart to run away from their stunted ideals and the judging eyes of the other villagers. He helped me harness my power, my true power, and even gave me an extra boost.

My hand subconsciously traveled to the base of my neck, grazing over the curse mark that painted my skin. One that was... different than the others'. With its three black, leaf-shaped symbols aligned in a perfect circle, it was crafted specifically for me and would only respond to my chakra.

I didn't understand what that meant then, but now the thought made me smirk.

Orochimaru always gave me special treatment up until Sasuke arrived. He was essentially a father figure to me, it was no wonder I never once visited the Hidden Stone Village before. I never felt emotionally connected to it. Although, it was a bit ironic how close I'd been living to the familiar land for so long, without even a second thought about it.

Just then, Suigetsu slowed his pace to walk beside me at the back of our formation. He turned his head towards me with a wide smile and I did my best not to grimace.

He's going to talk to me, isn't he.

"Hey," he started. I mentally face palmed, not wanting a conversation right now. "It's Ayuka, right?"

I gave him a sideways glance and nodded. Why was he being so... friendly? It was a bit odd.

"I meant what I said earlier, you know," he said, capturing my attention again. My eyes settled on his sharp teeth for a moment.

"About what?"

He cupped a hand over his mouth to redirect his voice only in my direction.

"About you being prettier than Karin," he whispered, grinning at me. A blush grew on my cheeks as I studied his face. I was used to people lying to me, telling me what I wanted to hear so I would go easy on them back at the castle, but he didn't seem deceitful. He actually seemed completely sincere as he punctuated his statement with a wink. I smiled and looked to my feet once more, shaking my head.

"I'm flattered, Suigetsu, really. But I'm not focused on things like attraction and romance right now."

He let out a defeated sigh and nodded. His white hair fell in his eyes as he did so.

"Jugo had a feeling that you'd say something like that." As he talked he lifted his arms up and rested them behind his head.

A pang of awkwardness hit me as I felt him peer over at me again. I didn't really know how to keep a conversation going if it wasn't an argument, so I opted to stay quiet as he studied me.