I Thought This Was Supposed To Hurt

"Yo, Erin!" Mark shouted from right field.

Erin kept her eyes trained on the game, "What's up, loser?" She replied from left field.

"Hi." He grinned, then turned his gaze over to the game again.

I rolled my eyes, placing my hands on my knees. "Would you two lovebirds get a room?"

"They're not birds, Ally," the clinking of metal against a ball rung out over the field. "they're ostriches. Because they're so ostracized, get it?"

"Ha, ha, very funny." The softball went sailing clear over the fence. "Not as funny as that, though! Jeez, Alex!" Erin was clutching her stomach tightly, leaning over and laughing her butt off.

When no one moved, I sighed, then shouted, "I'll get it!" And ran off towards the woods.

I still heard their laughing and playful bickering when I was a good distance over the red fence that separated our campus from non-campus stuff. When I couldn't hear them anymore, I went a few minutes before freaking out. Right now, I was also a good distance away from the school overall, which means that I'm either looking in the wrong spot and I'm about to die, or I'm lost and I'm about to die.

God, I'm too young and lazy to die! Don't let me die, I'll go to church every single day of the week even if it means missing softball practice, I'll do it!

My small praying moment had distracted me from a rustling of bushes. I looked over toward the sound. I saw a pair of creepy eyes staring back at me, then an ash-colored hand shot out at me, handing me the softball, and laughed evilly.

"Who are you?" My voice quivered.

"You'll see," My feet gave way underneath me, a gaping whole where soil and grass had once been was where I was falling from

. "See you soon, Ally!" The voice shouted from above. At least I still had my softball.

I noticed the fast-approaching ground glaring right back at me, waiting for me to splat like a really gross and ugly pancake against it. As much as I love pancakes, I wouldn't want to be one. Outside of dressing up as a pancake last Halloween.

On instinct, I shut my eyes, shielded my face with my arms, and folded my knees into my chest. Well, I'm gonna die. Thanks God for hearing my prayer.

I waited for the bones to break, the pain, everything and anything and something in between. 

And yet, nothing ever came. No pain. No breathtaking jolts. No air being pushed out of my lungs. Absolutely nothing.

I opened my eyes, expecting darkness or maybe a light waiting to grab me and pull me off to Heaven or Hell, but I saw the sun and a desert.

"Just my luck," I muttered to no one in particular. "Fall down a magical hole after some weirdo pedophile hands me a softball from the bushes, and now I'm in a desert."

Climbing up to my feet and dusting off my butt and knees, I started walking towards the horizon. After about ten minutes of walking, I noticed a feather-shaped cloud of dust, and the sound of an old sports car racing in my direction. "Today really isn't my day," I groaned.

Instead of running like any other sensible person would, I stood there. Not sure why, but I just stood there.

"Hey four-eyes, get up here!" I heard someone shout in the distance.

"They're not glasses, they're goggles! You're wearing a pair of goggles, too, Royal!" 

"Yeah, yeah, keep blabbering, Court," the first voice ended the conversation when he said, "Hey, Court, slow down, there's someone over there."