Lady Ember

I remember knocking out on the canopy bed, and waking up to the smell of breakfast.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," someone said. "Sleep well?"

"Mm," I groaned. "Food. Now. Please. Beg." I pried one eye open to see Court trying not to laugh behind Royal.

Court suddenly burst out laughing, clutching his stomach and grasping the wall. "Y-your hair, Em, your h-hair!" He wheezed out between laughs.

Pouting, I peeled myself out of bed with my comforter and shuffled over to the mirror. When I saw my reflection, I almost shrieked. Guess today's just a bad hair day.

"Come on, let's go eat." Royal said in an exasperated tone, a smirk and a grin playing on his lips. 

We walked into the small kitchen, at least fifteen people sitting on couches, bar stools, lounge chairs and at a dining table. Each had a plate of buttered toast, pancakes, and bacon in front of them.

A woman with long black hair, a white dream catcher tank top, rolled up boyfriend jeans and combat boots bowed to me. "Good morning, Lady Ember. Royal, Court, did you bow to her like I asked?"

Royal looked away, and Court scratched the back of his neck, pretending to be interested in the cooking.

"It's fine. Don't bow to me, I'm nothing special." I laughed, shaking my head. "Don't call me your lady or princess or queen or anything like that. Call me Ember."

The woman nodded, then straightened her back. Her hair was wild but managed to seem tame, with curls laying over each other. "I'm Kehlani. Older sister of Hugo." She gave a small wave and a smile. "Hugo," Kehlani called.

A boy with pure white hair and deep brown eyes pulled out a chair on his way towards his sister, grabbing a plate of breakfast food and a glass of water, handing them to me. "Hi, I'm Hugo. I'm Kehlani's younger brother."

I took the plate and water, only for Royal to hold it for me. In return, I glared at him with a playful glint. "How old are you, Hugo?"

Hugo put his hands behind his back. "I think I'm twelve."

I ruffled his hair, not bothering to ask. "Are you enjoying breakfast?"

"Yes." He said.

"That's good." I said.

"I'm going to sit back down now." He said.

"Okay." I said.

"Enjoy breakfast." He said.

Court bumped my shoulder, pushing me towards the spot at the table. Four teens cleared the others at the table and went to sit down with others.

Royal pushed my chair in, sitting down across from me with his own glass of water. I leaned across the table, a piece of crisp bacon in my hand. "Why are they being so polite to me?"

Court leaned forward, too. "You look exactly like Princess What's-Her-Face."

"Oh." I mouthed. "I'm going to eat my food in my room, okay? Then, napping. Kapeesh?"

In return, I got an eye roll from Royal and a sigh from Court. I walked down the hallway, putting my plate on the bed sheets. I gobbled down the food fairly easily. Breakfast foods have always been my favorite.

I quickly fell asleep, the laughter of the ragtag gang in the other room a sweet lullaby.