Unity

"Who's she?" Someone asked from what seemed to be a doorway in the sand.

Royal looked back at me, then back at him. "They think she's with them."

"Well, is she?" They asked.

Court laughed, smacking his knee like it was the funniest thing ever. "This girl would fall on her face if she was even put in a dress!"

Royal shook his head, gesturing me into view. "Ignore him," he whispered to me. "You're fine."

The person in the wooden western-style doorway stared at me. "Hi, I'm Ivan." 

The boy wore a denim vest with buttons for 1980's rock bands and 'Love Yourself' logos, rolled up jeans, and a formerly black, but now brown, Nirvana t-shirt. He held out his hand, but then took it back because of the dirt covering his cuticles and oil grease in the dents in his fingers from cracking his knuckles too much.

"Al-Ember! It's Ember." My eyes expanded to be as wide as saucers. Okay, so, if he doesn't notice, thank God. If he does, time to go home, right?

Ivan smiled. "Anyways, why are you guys here?"

"They came. Not them, but the other guys. We need somewhere to stay. If you want, we can leave. But, let us stay, and we help you get in. Okay?"

With the use of they, them, it, and we, I was far more confused than when I first found the fake vegan feminists that took the definition a little too seriously on Twitter.

"Deal. Two groups went on patrol, one group is in the back planning a raid on one of the Far A-Zones. So, it's just us and maybe three others."

Court nodded. "Are Hugo and Kehlani here?"

"Pretty sure. Check the living room, maybe? I'll go with you," Ivan followed Court into what I assume to be the living room.

Royal turned around to face me. "So, that's Ivan. This is where we used to live when we were kids and until four years ago, moved out, now we're back. I'll explain later, okay?" He smiled, then took my hand and led me down a hallway.

We stopped in front of a well-lit room, the walls lined with arched marble and a canopy bed sat in the middle with Victorian and medieval aged furniture littering the room. "Kehlani always saved this room for the princess. And, I guess you're her." Royal tightened his grasp around my hand, then pulled me in and threw me on the bed. He tickled my sides and the soles of my feet.

"Royal, stop!" I gasped through laughs. Although what he said about me being a princess and my reaction of doing nothing was a lot to think about, why can't I have a little fun first?