Anniversary

Today is June 3rd. I have a very important call to make. it feels like he's the only one I talk to. 

"hey!" I nearly yell as he picks up.

"Lily calm down. You nearly blew my ears off" 

"I'm sorry. I just got so excited, Damien" 

"I know you did. Happy Friendiversary" 

"you remembered" 

"of course I do. I've remembered every year" 

"this makes 5 years doesn't it?" 

"it sure does. It feels so short though" 

"yeah. In a 2 more months you'll be 20" 

"I know. Don't remind me" 

"aren't you a little excited?" 

"I don't really care about it" 

"how could you not care. I bet the ladies are just waiting to get their hands on you" I hear him laugh. 

"I doubt it" 

"why?" 

"in a few months I'll be 20. I don't know if I'm ready"

"don't worry. I'm sure whoever it is they'll be wonderful"

"I know"

"it'll be wonderful. I'll come to your wedding and I'll finally get to meet you"

"that sounds nice but I don't think that can happen"

"why?"

"I just don't know. Maybe you'll get bonded before I do" he says after a long pause.

"that's impossible. You'll get bonded before 21 at most"

"maybe, but what if you do get bonded before me?"

"I don't know"

"I don't want you to leave me behind Lilly'

"what do you mean? I won't leave you behind"

"Most of my friends are bonded. I haven't talked to anyone of them since then. They promised me nothing would change, but now they're nothing more then strangers"

"Damien I promise I won't leave you behind"

"I don't know"

"I promise"

"you promise?"

"I do"

"okay"

"I got you something" 

"really?" he asks surprised. 

"this is a special day after all. I carved something out of wood for you. Would you like to send a hologram it?" 

"yeah" 

"okay" I scan the smooth wood in my hand. It's a image of a gramophone with broken records around it except one. One record remains intact spinning on the record player: Nightingale. Damien loves that show. I was thinking about if it was a band. I designed a cover for this fake band. It lies on the floor with the design or Nightingale bird eating from a patch of Nightshade berries. Nightshade berries are highly poisonous and can cause hallucinations. 

The Medic field actually uses those berries for certain medicines. They also used those berries to cure amnesia and they even cured Alzheimer and dementia. Those hallucinations helped people remember apparently. 

"It looks so nice. How long did it take you" I can hear the joy in his voice. 

"I just a month. I carved it first and then added some color with acrylic paints" 

"I love it. I wish I could hold it" 

"I can send it to you if you want"

"no it's okay. I'd rather have it when we're on Pluto. Our home won't look so empty" 

"I guess that'll be the first thing we have in there" 

"yeah! I mean I don't know how we're going to get any furniture up there"

"we can just sleep in the ship" 

"we might get cold" 

"we can always bring a million blankets" 

"I totally forgot. Don't you have like a gazillion of those?" 

"sure do" 

"you go back to school in 2 months too" 

"yup" 

"little Miss Marine Biologist here ready to get her degree to march onward in her adventure" 

"yeah. I'm excited" 

"good luck" 

"thanks. I love you" 

"I love you too" I enjoy being able to say those words to him and have these types of conversations. He's like the sun that lights up the ground. We're pretty much family now. I wouldn't want it any other way. This is love and sure it's not romantic, but it's simple. This love is pure, and real, and amazing. 

"goodbye, Damien" 

"goodbye. Thank you for everything" 

"I didn't do that much" 

"I think you did. Thank you. Goodbye." Our conversations are always like sweet sugar cubes. Nothing is ever this sweet. I always think it's too good to be true. 

I let myself slide into the grass. The warm raindrops hit my face. I don't mind the rain. Nothing else matters except this moment. I surrender myself to the earth, waiting for it to swallow me. 

I won't leave you alone. We will face the world together hand and hand. Isn't that what friendship is? I will always wait for you. 

The rain finally stopped. My clothes are wet and I can't remember how long I've been out. 

"It's time for dinner." my mothers voice rings to me. I walk back inside the house. My mother doesn't scold me for my wet clothes. People can't get sick and the carpets always stay clean. The carpet just soaks up whatever mess got on it. 

My family is small. It's just My dad, mom, Lore and I. Everyone has black hair and everyone except for me has brown eyes. I got lucky with my green ones. Tonight we're having zucchini spaghetti with chicken meatballs. 

Family dinners aren't anything special. We eat we have light conversation and we don't see each other until our next meal. So many things are happening. During December, my sister will be out of this house and bonded with her soulmate. 

Maybe one day I'll find mine too. For now, I'm just a simple girl with a simple minded dream.