3

Ashton

  My phone rang an unknown number all the way from North Carolina. Strange. But I answered anyway.

"Who's this and how'd you get my number?" I asked.

"Is this Ashton Grier?" A man asked.

"Depends on who's asking," I stated.

"This is Chad Grier," the man said.

"Then yes. I'm Ashton. How might I help you Mr. Grier?" I asked.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"16," I answered.

"When's your mom get pregnant with you?" He asked.

"At 29," I answered.

"That's cool. She seems smart. Do you think she'd mind if I borrowed you for a day?" He asked.

"Of course she wouldn't. When exactly is it?" I asked.

"Next Wednesday," he answered.

"Where?" I asked.

"New York," he answered.

"Definitely then. I can just tell her I missed my flight since I'mma be there anyway," I said casually.

"Alright. Well I have to run. Keep care," he said and hung up.

  When it turned midnight, I felt my relaxed body being shaken lightly. I turned to face the doorway, groggily. I saw a dark and tall figure standing by the bed.

"What?" I groaned.

"Can I lay by you?" Kasen asked.

"Why?" I whined. Ok so being half asleep and talking to someone isn't a good idea. I'm bound to mess up.

"Would you believe me if I told you it was because I had a nightmare?"

"No."

"Then it was because I got super lonely and was hoping you wouldn't mind," he sighed.

  I moved over and rolled back into my warm position. He happily laid down and held me. I stayed up keeping him company until he fell asleep.

  When he passed out, I kissed his cheek and went to sleep myself. When we woke up at six, I showered, stole some of his sweats and his baseball shirt, and got ready for school.

  He drove as I sat quietly, nearing sleep as the seconds passed by like hours. I was about out cold when he decided to pull into the student parking lot. I groaned, causing him to laugh.

"Come on sleepyhead. Gotta get going," he said.

"I think I'll stay here and protect the truck," I mumbled.

"Nope," he chuckled.

  I forced myself out with my bag on my back, and walked in hand-in-hand with Kasen.

"Behave today. Ok? If you want, just tell me if anyone bothers you," he said and faced me.

"Aye aye Capt'n Walker!" I saluted him and stood tall.